10348Re: [PPLetterpress] Book: The Art of Wood Type

  • Austin Jones
    Jan 8, 2009
      I think Jessica has pretty much stated my thoughts. It is a very pretty
      book. I am pleased to have it in my library. The author dedicates the book
      to Rob Roy Kelly. I think Kelly did a great job of presenting a history of
      Wood Type. Its purpose and use are well presented. I was a bit surprised
      that the author of this book took such a different approach in presenting
      Wood Type.

      I think this book is more intended to display the collections of Wood Type
      Collectors than a book dealing with Wood Type as we printers see it. The
      book by Kelly is much more definative and complete. All of the photographs
      are great and are well edited. There is nothing natural or real about this
      book. It presents a very artifical. East Coast Art Studio look at Wood Type.
      Certainly not the look of the wood type in my shop.

      If you enjoy Wood Type, by all means you will enjoy this book. I think the
      point here and what I read in Jessica's comments - know what you are
      getting. This is a Coffe Table book for all those friends and neighbors who
      wonder what all that stuff you collect is for. I would agree with Fritz -
      the website does not do a very good job of describing the book.

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      austin@...
      http://printsbyaj.com