10346Re: [PPLetterpress] Book: The Art of Wood Type

  • Jessica Spring
    Jan 8, 2009
      It is paperback, about an inch thick and printed on heavy coated paper.

      It's filled with beautiful photography, but I confess to cringing at
      the wood type assemblages created by some of the collectors then used
      to hang on walls or serve as magazine covers, doors, etc. There is
      also something strange to me about wood type all cleaned, oiled up and
      arranged for photos--a sort of letterpress porn, perhaps, when you
      realize the "proofs" of the type on the left are actually created in
      Illustrator (reversed, blemishes removed, missing characters digitally
      rendered, perfectly reproduced in solid black). It's a whole different
      aesthetic than much of the wood type actually printed today that
      reveals the age of the substrate. I've seen folks like John Horn make
      gorgeous prints from his vintage wood type. I wonder how folks decide
      that their collection is just too valuable to actually use for printing?

      I'm also curious about a photo in the book of a composing stick filled
      with metal type. It is set perpendicular to the length of the stick
      without leading. Great photo, but I've never used a composing stick
      that way. There are descriptions of other kinds of printing surfaces--
      magnesium, woodcuts, etc. but no mention of photopolymer that I saw.

      No intent to discourage folks from buying the book, just some thoughts
      after looking through it last night....
      Jessica Spring
      http://www.springtidepress.com