10321Re: [PPLetterpress] Re:Hot metal type

  • Graham and Kathy
    Dec 12, 2008
      The Mazak type that I have was made by Stephenson Blake of Sheffield, last
      of the old type foundries, who closed down I guess about four years ago
      (time flies - it could be longer, but they were still casting to order in
      1999).
      One of the ways they stayed afloat for so long was by supplying type for the
      hot foilers. I don't know what faces they supplied, and only have a fount of
      24pt Modern No. 20, and that came to me by accident. I keep it in a case
      mixed with some of their regular foundry type. It was Howard Bratter who
      pointed out to me what it was, me not realizing, and told me that there was
      differential shrinkage on cooling between Mazak and regular foundry type,
      but it must be so minute as not to show in practical printing use, and I've
      not noticed low letters when printing or letters loose in the lock-up when
      lifting the chase. The only way I can tell the two castings apart is by the
      weight of the letters, the Mazak being noticeably lighter.

      I have done a bit of foiling for book titles, and personally I reckon
      foundry type is too precious to use that way, as eventually the weave of the
      cloth appeared in the face of the letters - instead I use 16g zinc blocks,
      made from a typeset original print.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England
      http://www.inclinepress.com

      On 12/12/08 03:18, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

      > Service type is a new term to me, and I had not heard of the Schaefer line
      > before. Service type may be a name these folks gave to zinc type and perhaps
      > that is the same as Mazak type or Kingsley's zinc type that was cast
      > exclusively by American Type Founders. Zinc will withstand the high
      > temperatures needed for foil stamping. It is nasty stuff to cast and is hard
      > on casting equipment and matrices. ATF was owned by Kingsley at its demise in
      > 1993 and even into the late 1980s, ATF cast over a million dollars worth of
      > zinc type a year for Kingsley. Separate mats were made for zinc service and
      > the machines were strictly used for zinc only. Several of the surviving Barth
      > machines from Kingsley are now owned by Greg Walters and the mats are held by
      > Harold Bratter. All the ATF Kingsley material was held by the surviving
      > Kingsley operation after the 1993 auction in Chicago, but was never put back
      > into service. A fellow from Maine, Kevin Auer, contacted Kingsley and
      > purchased all this and moved it to Maine, then ultimately sold it all to
      > Bratter. One machine was almost converted to regular casting for 36 pt and was
      > to have gone to the Dale Guild, but the work was not completed and Greg
      > Walters has it now in Ohio. As far as I know, there is no genuine zinc type
      > being cast by anyone, but the Schaefer product intrigues me.
      >
      > I have a bunch of new Kingsley/ATF type that I'm starting to list on the NA
      > Graphics web site. This type should not be mixed with regular metal type as it
      > is not the same height or point size because of the shrinkage characteristics
      > of zinc vs. metal.
      >
      > Fritz
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic