10314Re:Hot metal type

  • amy borezo
    Dec 11, 2008
      Hello,

      I have been buying metal type recently for foil stamping as well. Brass type
      is the best for foil stamping, followed by service type, followed by foundry
      type (And the prices follow the order of hardness!). Monotype is not usable
      for foil stamping and distorts after one hit. The foundry type will hold up
      well if care is given not to overheat or stamp too hard. The only foundry
      type still being made that is hard enough for foil stamping, apparently, is
      from Dale Guild Type Foundry which is also sold through NA Graphics. One can
      also find foundry type that was made thirty years ago or more still in
      unopened packages by foundries like ATF, Bauer and other european foundries
      that are acceptable to use--but these seem to be more rare and you have to
      hunt them down. I strongly suggest buying from NA Graphics!! You can
      probably google 'service type' and find some suppliers--I don't know the
      alloy for service type.

      --
      Amy Borezo
      Shelter Bookworks