10294Re: beginning with letterpress

  • Gary Johanson
    Dec 9, 2008
      Hi, Kati:

      There are several different answers to your questions, many of which may go
      beyond the topic range of this list, so rather than get into papers, inks, etc.,
      and run several Off Topic (OT) threads here, feel free to e-Mail me directly
      if you wish. ( wd4nka@... )

      BTW, I don't run polymer here for my digitally desinged plates, but rather,
      copper, for a number of reasons. One is that I want the block to be trimmed
      very close to the image.

      Gerald already mentioned Boxcar Press, a great source of information.

      gary / Settlement Printer

      http://www.gjohanson.blogspot.com

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, kati sanabria <kasanabria@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to PPL. I discover this
      wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
      > I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than letter size with
      motor and a big platen that is in excellent conditions, but I need to know more about the
      materials I need and if those are sold here.
      > I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet (sites, blogs, videos)
      because where I live letterpress itself has almost dissapeared. There are lots of printing
      business that still use letterpress (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil
      stamping and engraving only.
      > Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress (5x8) who still sells
      stationery (mainly business cards) and he will give me a workshop which makes me really
      happy. However, as I see, digital letterpress is the unique way now as nobody sells types
      here anymore.
      > I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to solve these my first
      questions:
      > Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
      > I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently contact some
      business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these are the same and I need to tell them
      the specific names or products. Are those of dupont (cyrel) the correct ones? in which
      widths?