10277Re: [PPLetterpress] Letterpress economics

  • Scott Rubel
    Dec 2, 2008
      Gerald:

      I'll tell it. It doesn't hurt me to say this. And if it does, it can't hurt.

      The signals do seem mixed, as you point out, but I think that's because
      of the huge shift that is going on. As a civilization we are in a
      painful process of deciding what businesses and paradigms will live and
      which must go.

      I do business with a local Los Angeles engraver. They say the business
      is still coming in, but they are having more trouble getting paid and
      they keep asking if I want to buy them.

      The guy who usually helps me when I need machine repair is hard to get
      in touch with. He once was someone who flitted about the West installing
      this, repairing that. Now he is occupied with multi-day jobs
      disassembling equipment and moth-balling it or getting it ready to ship
      out of the country.

      I have laid off six of my good people and am operating with as few as
      possible.

      My landlord is not in printing, but is affected by a printing business
      (mine). He runs a large repair shop for Mercedes and other vehicles. His
      large contract customers (some of the biggest business names in
      Pasadena) bring him fleet work still, but are way behind paying their
      invoices. Oh, and I'm a bit behind on rent, too. He's a worried man, and
      so am I.

      If I were happily puttering about with a two man business out of a home,
      I probably wouldn't be noticing anything. There are still people who pay
      for great letterpress work, but the general flow of commerce, the
      little, regular sales that pay the rent and workman's comp and lights
      and four-line phone with toll-free numbers and Pasadena Parking tickets
      and liability insurance and internet hosting &c. &c., that's all on hold.

      There is the faint impression that all this will shake out soon enough
      for me and everyone to get back on track. That's why I'm not wrapping it
      up yet, but really, working on a little C&P in my garage again and
      having time to do my own projects, often sounds more tempting than all
      the riches promised by a great economy.

      Let me warn everyone who wants to grow; business requires a lot of
      sacrifice, but if you can't find a way to do it without losing sleep,
      without time to exercise and eat right, you're making a big mistake. As
      business people we tend to be gamblers, and we gamble our health as well
      as our money. Don't do it. If you find yourself working to 3 in the
      morning (especially after the age of 35), forgetting to eat and take
      walks, you're destroying yourself.

      --Scott
      _InviteSite_ <http://www.invitesite.com/holidays.php>