10268beginning with letterpress

  • kati sanabria
    Nov 30, 2008
      Hi,
      I'm a graphic designer living in Lima, Peru and I just signed to PPL. I discover this wonder proccess two months ago and I fell in love.
      I'm deciding to buy a press at the end of december, one bigger than letter size with motor and a big platen that is in excellent conditions, but I need to know more about the materials I need and if those are sold here.
      I'm collecting all the info about the process here on internet (sites, blogs, videos) because where I live letterpress itself has almost dissapeared. There are lots of printing business that still use letterpress (imprentas tipograficas in spanish) but for hot-foil stamping and engraving only.
      Miraclously a friend told me about a man who has a tiny letterpress (5x8) who still sells stationery (mainly business cards) and he will give me a workshop which makes me really happy. However, as I see, digital letterpress is the unique way now as nobody sells types here anymore.
      I would apprecciatte all your advices and knowledge helping me to solve these my first questions:
      Which kind of photopolymer plates are suitable for letterpress?
      I know flexographic industry use the same material and I recently contact some business here who sells this, but I'm not sure if these are the same and I need to tell them the specific names or products. Are those of dupont (cyrel) the correct ones? in which widths?
      What kind of inks and papers are suitable for the print process?

      I would love all the advices you can provide.

      Thank you,
      Kati