10088Re: resolution

    Sep 1, 2008
      Iohannes

      The relief structure of photopolymer is unlike cast metal type and
      unlike photomechanical chemical etching.

      The longer the exposure latitude, the shallower the relief between
      surface imaging. Isolated elements, dots, lines, would thus have less
      structural support. But an isolated line would have better support
      than an isolated dot.

      I have put some images up in the photo section here
      Photos>Bieler Press
      that show microphotography of halftone plates at 150lpi. Note the
      variance in slope and relief based on different exposure latitude.

      > But I'm not sure...
      > Can fine line size be smaller than isolated dot size?
      > E.g. it tech specs of Toyobo Printight plates shown
      > lines 0.1 mm (.004"), dots 0.02 mm (0.0008")

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic