10029Re: engraver's test press

    Aug 3, 2008
      Lisa

      Yes, you are correct in regard to the Vandercook definition.

      Though Wilson (and others) have suggested the Vandercook as a possible
      collotype press, it is not. The better choice is an actual collotype
      press or an iron hand press. Extreme control over ink viscosity and
      roller technique is crucial for the production of collotypes and the
      Vandercook just isn't up for it.

      Gerald

      > In a book about collotype (Wilson), I just read that an engraver's
      proof press is ideal for
      > collotype if you don't have the rubber-blanket type of press. I see
      that Vandercook calls its
      > offerings "engravers' test presses," but I think they probably mean
      presses for photo-
      > engravers, not hand engravers. Because for hand engraving I think
      you would need far
      > more pressure than a V. could give. Am I right about this? But
      then Wilson wrote his book
      > well into the Vandercook era, and he must have known what they
      called themselves, so I
      > can't tell.
      > Thank you,
      > Lisa