TNI's explanation

  • Sunny
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007

      TNI's explanation

      In an article by George Junus Aditjondro, published in The Jakarta Post on Oct. 22, part of a sentence reads, "... during the armed conflict between GAM and the Indonesian Military ... ".

      This phrase may create a misunderstanding of the role of the Indonesian Military (TNI) in Aceh, as though conflict had arisen between the TNI and GAM.

      As a means for state defense, the TNI only executed the duty of maintaining state sovereignty, safeguarding territorial integrity and protecting the entire nation based on a policy to overcome the armed separatist movement (GAM) at that time.

      We hope this clarifies the role of the TNI in dealing with the armed separatist movement in Indonesia. We appreciate your cooperation.

      VICE MARSHAL SAGOM TAMBOEN
      Indonesian Military Information Center
      Jakarta

      printer friendly

      Post Your Comments

      Comments could also be sent to: readersforum@...

      Name required
    • kruengs
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2007
        Well, they can say as they want, but the fact that everybody whose
        eyes open knew what they have been done to Achehnese, Papuans,
        Timorese and their own citizens.

        --- In PPDi@yahoogroups.com, "Sunny" <ambon@...> wrote:

        > http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?
        fileid=20071101.F07&irec=6