RE: [PNLHmembers] Astoria Fur Bicentennial Trade Encampment: free pre-registr...

  • Jim Phillips
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2011
      I volunteered close to two years ago to assist Jeff and Jane Donnelly with planning and organization for this event. Emphasized the need for 'authenticity' in interpreting the Astorians and doing quality interpretation. I fear that distance [or disinterest] made my help useless. In any case I fear from the little I have heard that this will not be a living history encampment; possibly not even a 'rendezvous'. Wish I could make it up for the gathering, but.....

      I hope it is a wonderful Bicentennial event!!

      Jim
      "We Proceed On...."

      To: PNLHmembers@yahoogroups.com
      From: deeandjohn87@...
      Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 18:47:55 +0000
      Subject: Re: [PNLHmembers] Astoria Fur Bicentennial Trade Encampment: free pre-registr...

      Gloria,

      It is true, there are many interesting members of the Astorians to interpret, and it would be great if some group did so in an organized way, such as PNLH does with the Corps of Discovery.

      I wonder, however, if the Astoria Bicentennial organization really knows what is required to put on a quality first-person event.  Rather than a cohesive encampment of "Astorians" who work together, I believe that they are more likely to get a mixture of individuals who do their own, one-person style of interpretation (such as Roger does), and buckskinners who don't necessarily interpret any particular historic person.  Now, I suppose anyone can set up camp and say, "I'm Jedediah Smith."  But is it living history?  It depends entirely on how much time and effort an individual has invested in research and preparation, along with buying or making period gear and clothing.

      While it would be interesting and fun for PNLH to portray the Astorians, we would have a whole lot of that research and preparation to do between now and September!  Portrayals would have to be decided and agreed upon.  And would we do it for free?

      This is my viewpoint, and why I am inclined to go third-person, even if it is not quite what the event is aiming for (perhaps a bit unrealistically).

      But maybe I'm wrong.  I would heartily welcome any rebuttal of my opinions!

      Thanks,

          Message 4 of 12 , May 30, 2011
            Just received e-mail from the organizators, and the dead line is July 1st, not June 1st. Gloria

            In a message dated 5/30/2011 11:28:49 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, deeandjohn87@... writes:

            Tom,

            Great points.  I agree that historic persons can be interpreted in third-person without portraying them "in character."  The interpreter is able to discuss the historic figure from a truly historical perspective, using what she or he has learned from serious research and preparation.  We do this at times (Knappton Cove), and DESC does it all the time.

            I have shared my thoughts about training recently with the PNLH officers, but I doubt that there has been any opportunity for them to really discuss it all yet.  You and I have talked before about some of those things.

            I will say that I am unabashedly campaigning for using Heritage Days in Pasco, WA - an event near and dear to my own heart - as a combination of third-person interpretation and skills training, for anyone who would like to make the trip.  Like the Astoria Fur Trade encampment, it has the great advantage of being an existing, scheduled event that PNLH does not have to organize from the ground up.

            Here is the website address.

            http://www.mctama.org/sacajawea-heritage-days/

            As for the Fur Trade Encampment in Astoria, I would suggest that you and anyone else who lives in the area pre-register for free, if you can get it in by June 1st.  Who knows, they might charge admission to the public to get into the show.  If you are a registered "participant," at least you could throw on some of your period clothing, and get in the gate for free!

            Take care,

            John, thanks for all of the information.  Matt Hensley has portrayed Pryor, but is no longer a member of PNLH as far as I know.  Interesting comment from Sally about portraying someone in 3rd person.  I know that DESC members portray specific members of the Corps in 3rd person.  The dictionary definition of "portray" has a couple of meanings - 1 : to make a picture of : depict
            2a : to describe in words b : to play the role of : enact
            My feeling is that you can portray a historical person in both 1st and 3rd.  We can enact, play the role of, as well as paint a picture of (1st person), depict and describe in words (3rd person).  Both ways certainly have their strengths as well as weaknesses (especially when people don't do their research!)
            I have not heard, been contacted by, or even heard whispers of any training whatsoever on interpretation for the September camp.   We thought we had one of our members who was and is involved in this, being a source of information and contact for PNLH, but we have heard nothing and this person has chosen not to renew their membership with our group.  I sure hope the people involved are as committed to doing this as correctly as possible as you are - best wishes in these regards!
            Tom
            — por·tray·er noun

          • wilson206@charter.net

            • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2011

                Gloria: no misunderstanding.  From what Tom and Jim wrote, it's clear that PNLH made contact about the bicentennial early on, and no reply was ever forthcoming.  So maybe those of us who participate can pitch our tents together and enjoy ourselves while we are at it.

                Tom: The guidelines say "from the arrival of the first Astorian party in 1811 to the end of the period of joint British-American occupancy of the Oregon Country in 1846," so it won't be limited to the members of the Astor parties.  I like what you said about "types of people."  Maybe I am too quick to fall back on a Corps member; I guess I have until Sept. to consider it.  If I show up and they give me a name tag that says, "Nathaniel Pryor," I will just go with it.

                Message 7 of 12 , May 30, 2011

                  Gloria,

                  Well...what a difference a month makes!

                  Unfortunately, the available information about the Fur Trade Encampment is fraught with inconsistencies.  The pre-registration form available on the website states, "This is a free Encampment a nominal fee of $20.00 for registrations postmarked after June 1, 2010 (emphasis added) or any persons arriving at the gate without pre-registering."  You may wish to reply to the organizers that the pre-registration form is at odds with what they are telling you about the deadline.

                  Also, the flyer for the Encampment states that the event dates are from Sept. 13 though Sept. 18, with set-up on Sept. 11 & 12.  This conflicts with the event description on the Bicentennial website, which lists the dates as Sept. 14 through Sept. 18, and specifically states that it runs from Wednesday (the 14th) through Sunday (the 18th).

                  For the sake of all participants, I hope that the Bicentennial folks can clarify all deadlines and event dates for the Encampment, and correct the forms and websites accordingly.

                  Thanks again,