Fwd: Fw: Lewis & Clark Air Rifle...

  • sally freeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2011
      A friend shared this with me.  There are some errors in it, but it does have quite a bit of valuable information.  That might be the same rifle that Mike Carrick let Tom and I and some other Oregon Chapter LCTHF folks fire at Camp Rilea a few years ago.

      Sally

    • orthmannjohn
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2011
        Great video, Sally!

        Here are a couple more Girandoni links.

        This page on the National Firearms Museum website has several photos of the details of the Girandoni.

        http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-galleries/the-prospering-new-republic/case-28-romance-of-the-long-rifle/girandoni-air-rifle-as-used-by-lewis-and-clark.aspx

        This link is to the Wikipedia article, which has a great photo of the accoutrements, and the bag they were carried in.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

        I also found a commercial website, topairgun.com, which discussed a possible project to build quality reproductions of the Girandoni. Liability issues killed it. They abandoned the project due to concerns that the butstock air resevoir could not be made sufficiently idiot proof (to prevent someone from using their air compressor to fill it to excessive pressures, and having it blow up in their hands or face off) without making it far heavier than would be desireable. Too bad.

        http://www.topairgun.com/girandoni

        I wonder if there are enough Corps of Discovery enthusiasts around to justify the manufacture of a non-firing "prop gun" version by one of the makers of such things? Just a thought. Without need for a phony bayonet or ramrod, I don't think it would be any more costly to produce than a non-firing Charleville replica.

        John O.