Branding Iron, spider skillet, etc.

  • markbarb2@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011

      Yesterday, I went to the Oregon Historical Society, and I learned that our LCTHF chapter visit (and my email to this group) resulted in them selling about 10 replica brands, and several new memberships. That's good news for the OHS.

      One of the people who bought a brand (John Fisher from Idaho) is also trying to obtain a period spider skillet.

      He has located a dealer back east who has 3 for sale, and wants to know if our group would like to buy the "second-best" one when he makes the purchase.

      These are period pieces, not replicas, and slightly larger than the one in the Oregon Historical society, but would be good for "hands-on" interpretation. The price is $100 + shipping (probably at least $20 because of the weight).

      I've attached photos of the skillets that John sent me, as well as photos of a 1798 silver dollar that he wants to sell if anyone is interested.

      Mark Johnson

    • wilson206@charter.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011
        The Park has one that we've used before at the Saltmakers and Wintering
        Over, and can always use - the year we tried our best to burn the Fort
        down. I'm not sure what size you're talking about, but the Park's is a
        3-legged skillet - it's always fun to think and speculate exactly what
        the Corps used for cooking and what pans or such they brought, other
        than the 6 large "kittles" and various smaller ones. It hasn't been
        cleaned much, but they're not hard and it's good to "season" them - it's
        always nice to have our own items, though if possible.
        Tom

      • wilson206@charter.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011
          Sorry Mark, I just noticed the attaced pictures. They look very
          similar to the one at the Park

          On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM, markbarb2@... wrote:

          > Yesterday, I went to the Oregon Historical Society, and I learned that
          > our LCTHF chapter visit (and my email to this group) resulted in them
          > selling about 10 replica brands, and several new memberships. That's
          > good news for the OHS.
          >

          > One of the people who bought a brand (John Fisher from Idaho) is also
          > trying to obtain a period spider skillet.
          > He has located a dealer back east who has 3 for sale, and wants to
          > know if our group would like to buy the "second-best" one when he
          > makes the purchase.
          >

          > These are period pieces, not replicas, and slightly larger than the
          > one in the Oregon Historical society, but would be good for "hands-on"
          > interpretation. The price is $100 + shipping (probably at least $20
          > because of the weight).
          >

          > I've attached photos of the skillets that John sent me, as well as
          > photos of a 1798 silver dollar that he wants to sell if anyone is
          > interested.
          > Mark Johnson
        • Sidney Stoffels
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011
            Mark,
              Silly question. Where is the OHS? I am interested in getting a branding iron. I am leaving here tuesday (stopping to see Margaret), heading to California for my dad's 90th birthday. Easy to stop at, or call and order?
            Thanks,
            Sid

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011
              Mark:

              I'm interested in the 1798 Silver Dollar. Do you know what is John asking for it?

              Have you heard anything more from DeWayne [or anyone else] regarding PNLH investing in a spider skillet?

              Jim

              "We Proceed On...."

              To: PNLHmembers@yahoogroups.com
              CC: sally_freeman@...; back2thestoneage@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2011

                Jim - John wants $375 for the dollar.

                No one other than Tom has replied about the spider skillet.

                Seems like a good price for a period piece to me.

                To: PNLHmembers@yahoogroups.com
                CC: sally_freeman@...; back2thestoneage@...

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
                  Mark:

                  Good price for the skillet; but I'm not sure that we can afford to add one to our gear. Especially in view of the fact that we don't cook inside the Fort these days. Appreciate the information about the dollar. It is a little out of my price range!

                  Have a great day!

                  Jim

                  "We Proceed On...."

                  To: PNLHmembers@yahoogroups.com