Re: True Grit

  • sally freeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
      Hi Mark,

      Bruce and I saw True Grit on Christmas and were impressed with the dialogue, action, etc., but did not like the last 20-30 minutes of it.  We don't remember ever seeing the original with John Wayne so maybe those last scenes were "required," but I thought that rattlesnake bites were not generally that dangerous and it seems like more damage would be done by the long jolting horse ride than by letting her rest (but I guess they wouldn't have known that).
      The girl in the story was amazing; we decided that she was the star of the movie and couldn't figure out why her name is not prominently displayed on the poster.

      Sally

      From: Michael Harbour <michaelharbour@...>
      Subject: Re: [PNLH] what dates will Wintering Over portray?
      To: "Pacific Northwest Living Historians" <pnlh@yahoogroups.com>, PNLH@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, January 2, 2011, 11:05 AM

      The dates portrayed will be February 27 - March 1, 1806 - at least those are the dates I recall being settled on.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
        The new movie is an adaptation of the Charles Portis novel rather than a remake of the 1969 movie also based on the novel and, from what I've read, includes scenes from the book which were not used in the 1969 movie. I haven't seen the 1969 movie since some time in the 70s so I can't really compare them.

        I'll have to say I was also bothered by the effects of the rattlesnake bite which, while they may be within the range of what could occur, seem to be out of the ordinary for a snake bite.