Re: [PNLH] what dates will Wintering Over portray? - and a resulting problem

  • Michael Harbour
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      It occurs to me that while we have a story to explain not using the fireplaces when we portray Dec. 26, 27 or so (not finished, not drawing right, need more work) that's not going to work when portraying Late February/Early March.

      Ideas anyone?

      It also occurred to me that Tom could portray Mr. Bratton and lie abed all day.

      Michael Harbour   FreeRice.com Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry.

      The dates portrayed will be February 27 - March 1, 1806 - at least those are the dates I recall being settled on.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011

        Hmm - It's warmer than at Mandan, but wetter. We're conserving the dry firewood to use for cooking?

        Hey - I just saw the new True Grit film, and it is really good, especially the engaging and authentic dialogue.

        Has anyone else seen it?

        Mark Johnson (aka Pvt. Gibson)

        The dates portrayed will be February 27 - March 1, 1806 - at least those are the dates I recall being settled on.

        Michael Harbour
        FreeRice.com Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry.

        Please let me know what dates will be portrayed at Wintering Over so I can put this on the handouts that the visitors will get as they arrive for the tours.

        Sally

      • sally freeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
          One of the great things about contextual orientations is that we can take care of "problems" like not having fires in all of the pits and the fireplaces, by explaining to the visitors ahead of time and asking them not to mention it.  Remind me to put that in our contextual "Cheat Sheets."

          Sally

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
            Hi Mark,

            Bruce and I saw True Grit on Christmas and were impressed with the dialogue, action, etc., but did not like the last 20-30 minutes of it.  We don't remember ever seeing the original with John Wayne so maybe those last scenes were "required," but I thought that rattlesnake bites were not generally that dangerous and it seems like more damage would be done by the long jolting horse ride than by letting her rest (but I guess they wouldn't have known that).
            The girl in the story was amazing; we decided that she was the star of the movie and couldn't figure out why her name is not prominently displayed on the poster.

            Sally

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2011
              The new movie is an adaptation of the Charles Portis novel rather than a remake of the 1969 movie also based on the novel and, from what I've read, includes scenes from the book which were not used in the 1969 movie. I haven't seen the 1969 movie since some time in the 70s so I can't really compare them.

              I'll have to say I was also bothered by the effects of the rattlesnake bite which, while they may be within the range of what could occur, seem to be out of the ordinary for a snake bite.