Liberty received history award

  • Michael Harbour
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 2:09 AM
      Thought the group would like to know that, in the senior awards ceremony at her high school, Liberty received the:

      Omaha Woodmen
      Life Insurance Society
      award for
      Outstanding Proficiency
      in American History

      It came as a complete surprise to her and what's funny is that the presenter is apparently notorious in the area for being a cantankerous and unpredictable. As this gentleman with long gray beard and long gray hair rolled out in his wheelchair and appropriated the microphone, he commented that they know he's not going to pay attention to the time limit and launched into a story. At this point Liberty thought, "If I were to get any award I'd want to get it from him." (I don't think she even knew which award was being presented at this point.) Despite his attention-getting warning, he didn't really go much over time but certainly enlivened the event - and Liberty was flabbergasted when he announced her name as the recipient.

      Not an award that came with any money, but she got a nice plaque and, probably most thrilling for her, the distinction of having by far the coolest presenter.

      Michael Harbour
      FreeRice.com Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry.

    • GloriaLinkey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 7:49 AM
        Michael and Liberty: What an honor for you LIberty. It is always wonderful to see honors given to very deserving and fine young people. This is the kind of publicity that our young people need today. With teenagers like you, LIberty, our country and society has no worries about the future. Congratulations, you certainly deserve this honor. Sincerely, Gloria

      • wilson206@charter.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 8:23 AM
          HUZZAH!!!! That is absolutely wonderful, Michael -thanks for sharing.  Please give Liberty a great big hug for me and my sincere congratulations!
          Tom

        • drouillard1805@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7 9:05 AM
            HUZZAH INDEED! Sincere congratulations, Liberty!!
            Sent with Verizon Mobile Email

            HUZZAH!!!! That is absolutely wonderful, Michael -thanks for sharing. Please give Liberty a great big hug for me and my sincere congratulations! Tom On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Michael Harbour wrote: Thought the group would like to know that, in the senior awards ceremony at her high school, Liberty received the: Omaha Woodmen Life Insurance Society award for Outstanding Proficiency in American History It came as a complete surprise to her and what's funny is that the presenter is apparently notorious in the area for being a cantankerous and unpredictable. As this gentleman with long gray beard and long gray hair rolled out in his wheelchair and appropriated the microphone, he commented that they know he's not going to pay attention to the time limit and launched into a story. At this point Liberty thought, "If I were to get any award I'd want to get it from him." (I don't think she even knew which award was being presented at this point.) Despite his attention-getting warning, he didn't really go much over time but certainly enlivened the event - and Liberty was flabbergasted when he announced her name as the recipient. Not an award that came with any money, but she got a nice plaque and, probably most thrilling for her, the distinction of having by far the coolest presenter. Michael Harbour FreeRice.com <http://freerice.com/> Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry. <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          • sally freeman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7 6:50 PM
              Ditto that from me and Bruce!

              Sally

[...]

            • Sidney Stoffels
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8 11:06 AM
                Liberty & Michael,
                  Well done and congratulations! And acknowledging the time and work that lead to this.
                Sid

              • markbarb2@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9 6:38 PM
                  Hi Michael - that's wonderful!
                  I have always been impressed by Liberty's passion for history, and the connection she has with her father.
                  The scholarship is well deserved. Please tell her how proud we all are of her.

                  Mark T. Johnson
                  Pvt. Gibson