Fw: Seaman's Day is July 11 at Fort Clatsop

  • sally freeman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2012
      Attached, and below, please find a news release for Seaman's Day.  I
      apologize for not getting this out sooner.
      The photo is one of the dogs that helped last year; her name is Kate.

      Sally Freeman
      Park Ranger
      Lewis and Clark NHP
      503-861-4424

      (See attached file: Seaman's Day 12 news release.doc)(See attached file:
      Newfy 2 Kate.jpg)

                            Seaman’s Day at Fort Clatsop

      Over two hundred years ago, the 33 people of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
      wintered at Fort Clatsop.  The 34th “member” of this expedition was not a
      human.  The 19th annual Seaman’s Day commemorating the dog of the Corps of
      Discovery will be held Wednesday, July 11 at Lewis and Clark National
      Historical Park, Fort Clatsop.

      This event offers visitors an opportunity to learn about Meriwether Lewis’
      Newfoundland dog, Seaman, and to meet some modern Newfoundland dogs.
      According to the explorers’ journals, Seaman served as a watchdog, hunter,
      retriever, companion and diplomat during the two-and-a-half year voyage of
      discovery.

      At 11:00 and 3:30, next to the fort replica, rangers will share a talk
      called Our Dog Seaman.  One of the guest Newfoundland dogs is trained to
      pull a cart and will be demonstrating wagon drafting at 11:30 and 2:30.
      Programs about modern life with a huge, furry Newfoundland dog are
      scheduled for 12:30 and 2:00.  Kid Corps dog-themed crafts and face
      painting (for children of all ages) will be available from 10:00 to 3:00 in
      the visitor center.  Costumed rangers will also be at the fort during the
      day to answer questions, share living history, and present flintlock
      programs at 10:30, 1:30, and 4:30.

      The park is open daily from 9:00 to 6:00 including the parking lots at the
      visitor center and at Netul Landing.  Admission is $3 per adult and free
      for youth 15 years old and under.  Passes to National Park Service sites
      are accepted.

      For more information, call the park at (503) 861-2471.

                                          ###

    • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2012

        Sally,

        Is Seaman's Day always celebrated on the same date?  July 11 is also my wedding anniversary.

        John O.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2012
          Hi John,

          We've settled on Seaman's Day being the second Wednesday of July each year so we won't put it on your anniversary every year!
          Right now it looks like we might set a record for the number of Newfs in the park on one day this Wednesday - should be at least 13 and maybe more!