Lewis and Clark for Dummies, et.al...

  • DeWayne
    Message 1 of 6 , May 20 8:53 PM
      Hello All,
      Have any of you seen the book on Lewis and Clark from the ". . . for Dummies" series? It is actually pretty good in my humble opinion. A few errors along the way but generally a worthy effort. Each major leg of the journey is treated as a separate section in the book. At the beginning of each section there is a "Far Side" -like cartoon emphasizing some aspect or characteristic of that portion of the expedition. The book is worth it if only to enjoy these cartoons. These are done by a guy named Rich Tennant. For example, Part III, which covers Fort Mandan to the Pacific, shows the men on a boat with the Columbia River estuary looming ahead of them. The caption refers to a hunch that they may be in for a spot of bad weather. The cloud forming above them is in the shape of a huge water faucet. Pretty good stuff.

      Another topic: PNLH wants to have a training weekend for PNLH interpreters, contextuals, and support workers this summer. The set dates are July 17, 18, and 19 at Camp Rilea. This is a great opportunity to improve existing skills and learn new ones. This will be a primitive camp for those who can/want to learn new primitive skills/crafts or practice/improve existing crafts and skills. Open fire cooking, shelter-building, sewing leather/specific stitch techniques, fire-starting w/ flint and steel, and firearm operation and maintenance are just a few of the skills to be addressed. In addition, there will be opportunities to practice and improve your 1st person portrayal, contextual skills, storytelling as part of your character impression, and Chautauqua program training.

      However, so far, we have only two commitments for this training session after two announcements in the past 3 weeks or so. There are many great mini-workshops and mini-seminars we can offer in a fantastic, wooded setting. Our group possesses a wealth of knowledge and skills we don't often get an opportunity to share with one another out side of program mode. We need a firm commitment from our members by June 1st, so we can begin the planning phase. This would be a terrible opportunity to lose and not take advantage of. Email your commitment to either myself at chabono1@... or Gloria at GloriaLinkey@....

      DeWayne Pritchett
      PNLH President
    • John S Orthmann
      Message 2 of 6 , May 20 11:02 PM
        DeWayne,

        I have already replied to the two previous notices about the training weekend, but I will say again that if this event is held, I will definitely attend.

        Although this event is a "replacement" for the cancelled Clark's Camp event, it would be a great idea to do this every year.  It will benefit us all to improve our skills, or learn new ones. It is also a great opportunity for all of us to get together and talk about the Corps, without being on a public stage.

        Thanks for the tip about the "...Dummies" book.  I will have to check it out when I am in the bookstore.

        John O.

        On Fri, 21 May 2010 03:53:04 -0000 "DeWayne" <alwayslatetwo@...> writes:

[...]

      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , May 21 7:30 AM
          This is a good book and one that we use at Ft. Clatsop as a "crash course" for new interp. rangers.  Just wondering if anyone is coming to David Nicandri's talk at the Fort (I know Mark J. is coming) tomorrow (Saturday)?  David wrote a new book and offers some interesting (and debatable) twists and the Corps journey down the Columbia.  Not a real easy read, but intersesting in the sense that it challenges my thinking and research.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 21 8:58 AM
            I use the "...for Dummies" book for "cramming" before programs sometimes. It's a good resource.

            I'm definitely not available for training on July 17 unfortunately as this will be the date Liberty is performing at the end of the Rock Camp for Girls.

            Michael Harbour
            FreeRice.com Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry.

[...]

            However, so far, we have only two commitments for this training session after two announcements in the past 3 weeks or so. There are many great mini-workshops and mini-seminars we can offer in a fantastic, wooded setting. Our group possesses a wealth of knowledge and skills we don't often get an opportunity to share with one another out side of program mode. We need a firm commitment from our members by June 1st, so we can begin the planning phase. This would be a terrible opportunity to lose and not take advantage of. Email your commitment to either myself at chabono1@hotmail. com or Gloria at GloriaLinkey@ aol.com.

            DeWayne Pritchett
            PNLH President

          • Margaret Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21 11:47 AM
              David Nicandri will be at Cowlitz Co. Historical Museum on June 9th. I'll attend then, and it's another option for those busy tomorrow as I will be.
              Margaret

              Message 6 of 6 , May 21 2:28 PM
                Hi John, et al,

                I've heard good things about that book as well, but it is not sold at the Fort Clatsop bookstore.

                Sally