James Wilkinson

  • tdwilson206
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2010
      In my years of research, one character (and I mean that in more than one way) that has fascinated me was James Wilkinson. Wm. Clark served under him as well as "Mad" Anthony Wayne. Many of you may be aware that this man, the commander of the Army when the Expedition was sent, was a double agent with Spain.
      Recently, NPR did an interesting interview with the author of a new book on him. You might want to check this out and do a search for NPR, James Wilkinson. I believe this was done on April 29,
      It's amazing what he did as well as tried to do.
      If you get a chance, check this article and interview out.
      Here's the website - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126363998
      Please write and let me know what you think!
      Take care,
      Tom
    • GloriaLinkey@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2010
        Thank you Tom, for pointing this article out to us. I found it very interesting and it gives quite a bit of insight into our Country in the earlier years. Gloria

      • alwayslatetwo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2010
          Wasn't Wilkinson involved with Aaron Burr to establish a new nation west of the Mississippi River? I believe you could safely say that James Wilkinson was a " most complete scoundrel".
          DeWayne

          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2010

            Yes, and was court martialed (or at least attempted a court martial, but it never stuck because he was such a smoozer) many times.  The Aaron Burr involvement and trying to establish a new territory is why some say that he was behind Lewis' death since Lewis was the new territorial Governor - wouldn't this make a great Hollywood story!
            Tom