Wintering Over 2012

  • markbarb2@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 17, 2012

      Thanks to all for making this a very memorable Living History experience.

      Did everyone else make it home OK?

      I went to Portland via Hwy 30 (per Gloria's suggestion) and it was passable on Sunday afternoon, but I heard Hwy 26 was a mess.

      Sid - You were definitely missed.

      We experienced large snowflake blizzards and a fierce hailstorm with 50 caliber stones.

      The hail made a real racket on the cedar plank roof of the fort.

      No toes were amputated, as far as I know.

      Here's short clip I found on youtube:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK15eZWR94

      Anyone have some pictures to share?

      All the best,

      Pvt. Geo Gibson

      Mark T. Johnson

    • Glen Allison
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 17, 2012
        Mark,
        I made it home on Hwy 30 leaving the fort around 5:45 on Sunday. The
        road was a sheet of ice. Traffic moved at about 20 mph all the way to
        Longview. I passed numerous vehicles in the ditch along the way. It
        took me to noticeably past 1 AM to get home. I-5 was fine and I205, as
        well. I-84 was a X#$!! after Gresham with lots of snowing going on in
        the Gorge. I have a few pictures to send around once I've had time to
        look at them and get rid of the fuzzy ones. It's a new camera and I'm
        not really used to it yet. Anyway, I'll send them around soon. Anyone
        else with photos?
        Glen

        On 1/17/2012 1:49 PM, markbarb2@... wrote:

        > Thanks to all for making this a very memorable Living History experience.
        >
        > Did everyone else make it home OK?
        >
        > I went to Portland via Hwy 30 (per Gloria's suggestion) and it was
        > passable on Sunday afternoon, but I heard Hwy 26 was a mess.
        >

        > Sid - You were definitely missed.
        >

        > We experienced large snowflake blizzards and a fierce hailstorm with
        > 50 caliber stones.
        >
        > The hail made a real racket on the cedar plank roof of the fort.
        >
        > No toes were amputated, as far as I know.
        >

        > Here's short clip I found on youtube:
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK15eZWR94
        >

        > Anyone have some pictures to share?
        >

        > All the best,
        >
        > Pvt. Geo Gibson
        >
        > Mark T. Johnson

      • Glen Allison
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 17, 2012
          Here are a few pictures I took over the weekend. I think they were all
          on Sunday.
          Glen
        • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 18, 2012

            Glen,

            Great shots.  You should save them on the PNLHmembers Yahoo Group site.

            John O.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
              I hope everyone made it home safely.  My drive home Sunday included several miles of "skating rink" "white knuckle" driving/creeping.  Whew!
              I think that Wintering Over went really well.  We had 324 visitors on Saturday and 197 on Sunday.
              Jill mentioned some details that we should consider for future events:
              The raw beaver feet and tail should not have been traded away.  The park wanted the tail.
              For sanitation/disease/allergic reaction reasons we don't allow visitors to eat what we are working on at the fort and we should not have allowed this flesh to go home with them.
              Is it legal for a visitor to take wildlife parts from a national park?  Is it legal for them to have them at home?
              Was a beaver foot fed to Dolly???  Did Bob give permission for his dog to be fed anything?
              Why was Lewis so rarely in the Captains' Quarters?
              Why were sergeants and a civilian on guard duty?
              I was aware of some of this activity, but did not think of them as "red flags" until Jill mentioned them yesterday (the first day we were both back at work).
              It would have been nice if Gibson would have shared some music.  Without Cruzatte there, this was one component that I realized later that I missed.
              We also have a handful of plastic sparkly things that were received in trade and I wonder if we should discourage trading for anything that you/your character don't have an actual need/want/purpose for.  Not all trades need to be successful for the visitors to have a successful visit.
              Please think about/discuss the above topics.

              I like that it was a two-day event and that it was on a free weekend and that lunch was cooked and eaten in the program (I'm glad that Susan remembered the new dishes).  We noticed lots of visitors from the Astoria area and lots from several states away.  It was great to have the little fires and candle lanterns going in the fort.  The visitors were smiling and talking about their time at the fort when they were in the visitor center.
              We have quite a few photos and Susan got some video footage.  I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.  Will put some of Saturday's photos on the park Facebook page.  Another improvement I noticed was that characters did a good job of ignoring cameras.
              Please keep sharing your photos.  Email the excellent ones to everyone, please.

              Thank you for all of your work to make this event a success.

              Sally

              I made it home on Hwy 30 leaving the fort around 5:45 on Sunday. The
              road was a sheet of ice. Traffic moved at about 20 mph all the way to
              Longview. I passed numerous vehicles in the ditch along the way. It
              took me to noticeably past 1 AM to get home. I-5 was fine and I205, as
              well. I-84 was a X#$!! after Gresham with lots of snowing going on in
              the Gorge. I have a few pictures to send around once I've had time to
              look at them and get rid of the fuzzy ones. It's a new camera and I'm
              not really used to it yet. Anyway, I'll send them around soon. Anyone
              else with photos?
              Glen

              On 1/17/2012 1:49 PM, markbarb2@... wrote:

              > Thanks to all for making this a very memorable Living History experience.
              >
              > Did everyone else make it home OK?
              >
              > I went to Portland via Hwy 30 (per Gloria's suggestion) and it was
              > passable on Sunday afternoon, but I heard Hwy 26 was a mess.
              >

              > Sid - You were definitely missed.
              >

              > We experienced large snowflake blizzards and a fierce hailstorm with
              > 50 caliber stones.
              >
              > The hail made a real racket on the cedar plank roof of the fort.
              >
              > No toes were amputated, as far as I know.
              >

              > Here's short clip I found on youtube:
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK15eZWR94
              >

              > Anyone have some pictures to share?
              >

              > All the best,
              >
              > Pvt. Geo Gibson
              >
              > Mark T. Johnson

            • Glen Allison
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
                Hi Sally,
                Glad you made it home okay. It took me 2+ hours to get to Longview on
                Hwy 30 Sunday evening. How do you get to the park's Facebook page? I
                went to my Facebook page and tried searching for the park but couldn't
                find it.
                Glen

              • sally freeman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
                  Hi Glen,

                  This is the link to the page.  Will has been working on getting other unofficial pages with the park's name removed so ours should be getting easier to find.

                • Glen Allison
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 19, 2012
                    Thank you, Sally.
                    Glen

                  • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 21, 2012

                      Sally and all,

                      I would like to reply to a few of the questions and comments which have been presented, at least from my perspective.  Please understand that my comments are intended to be constructive, and not critical.  I will try to only comment on things which I saw or participated in (which does not include the disposition of beaver's feet or any other animal parts).

                      Question: Why was Lewis so rarely in the Captains' Quarters?

                      I recall Captain Lewis being in or near the Captains' quarters much of the day on Saturday.  This is not to say that he did not "make the rounds" some of the time, which seems perfectly appropriate to me.  As Jim commented on Saturday night, we were often "trapped" in whatever place we occupied at times when there was a large surge of visitors into the fort.  That happened to all of us, without regard to rank.

                      On Sunday, most of us were in the enlisted quarters because we had freezing temperatures outside, and the fires were in those rooms.  A fire was not made in the orderly room because the fireplace was full of water, apparently due to leaks.  A fire could not be made in the Captains' quarters because the fireplace there is still in need of repair, as I understand it.

                      If leaking is a chronic problem in the orderly room fireplace, would it be possible to get a small, manually-operated pump to clear the water out of it, more quickly and completely than could be done by bailing alone?  Such a pump could be kept out of sight in the meat room, put into action in the morning before the park opens, and just as quickly stashed out of sight again.  I don't know if any of the other fireplaces sometimes fill up with water; but if they do, the usefulness of such a pump will be even greater.

                      Question: Why were sergeants and a civilian on guard duty?

                      The sergeants took turns at guard duty because our numbers were limited.  We had only five privates each day.  The sergeants could have chosen to make the privates take longer shifts, or required some men to take more than one shift during the day; instead, they took a turn themselves, and took care of their men, as good NCOs will do.  Although it may not have been historically correct, it was effective, and contributed to our esprit de corps.  It is my opinion that the one-hour shifts that were used this year were a much more effective regimen than the odd shifts (hour and a quarter or hour and a half) which we had to use last year, when there were even fewer people available to take a shift at the gate.

                      The only civilian who I saw standing guard was Charbonneau.  You may recall that matters like performing guard duty and fatigue duties were a point of contention when Charbonneau sought employment by Lewis and Clark.  The Frenchman said he did not want to perform such duty, and the Captains declined to hire him on those terms.  T.C. later came back, and was engaged with the understanding that he would perform whatever duties were required of him.  Thus, it is not inappropriate for Charbonneau to take a turn on guard.

                      I cannot imagine that the identities of the "characters" who participated in the guard rotation diminished the enjoyment of the event by any of our visitors at all.

                      Comment: It would have been nice if Gibson would have shared some music.  Without Cruzatte there, this was one component that I realized later that I missed.

                      I suggest that Gibson playing his fiddle during the day would have been improper, and maybe impossible.  Speaking to the later point, I don't know if Mark plays the fiddle, or owns one.  I suppose that I don't know that because Gibson is always busy carrying out the duties of an Army private during the events in which I have participated.  Fiddle playing, dancing and other forms of merriment would have occured at night, after supper, when the men were done performing their duties for the day.  I believe that playing the fiddle "just for show" is an activity better suited to a third-person event.

                      I am not aquainted with the man who has portrayed Cruzatte, although I have been told that he plays the fiddle.  All I can say is that he did not elect to join us at Wintering Over.

                      Comment: I like that it was a two-day event and that it was on a free weekend and that lunch was cooked and eaten in the program...

                      I agree with all these points.

                      The two-day program was cost-effective, permitting more interpreters to participate.  It also gave those of us who travel some distance a little leeway for getting home, particularly in worse weather conditions than any of us might have expected.  I stayed overnight on Sunday, and was able to drive home through the winter weather in daylight.  I know that Glen had a tough drive and got home in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  I have no doubt that it was a relief to him that thanks to the holiday, he did not need to go to work when he awoke!

                      The free weekend certainly must have increased the number of visitors.  It would have been a shame if those cute kids in their homemade 'native' costumes had stayed home!  If anyone knows who they were, please send them pictures of the conical hats.  I am confident that they will make copies of them for next year.

                      Mr. Charbonneau's culinary efforts have been a great success in both The Saltmakers Return and Wintering Over.  It has not only been a great addition to our overall interpretation, but it has also relieved the logistical issues of providing lunch fare in the Interpretive Center or the hotel room (Saltmakers), and of coordinating adequate lunch breaks for the first-person interpreters (which necessarily spreads the remaining interpreters thinly throughout the fort).

                      The only downside I see, which I did not know at the time, is that the contextual interpreters did not have a proper lunch provided.  An innocent oversight, but something to remember next time.

                      Comment: It was great to have the little fires and candle lanterns going in the fort.  The visitors were smiling and talking about their time at the fort when they were in the visitor center.

                      I wholeheartedly agree!  More fires and lanterns really cut through the gloom.  Thanks again to Sally for giving the OK for two fires on Sunday, which was most welcome in the biting chill.  I think that everyone will agree that we are willing to do what is necessary to tend additional fires and lanterns, and protect the fort from any harm.  Let's keep moving in that direction, and make more visitors smile.

                      Well, as I said at the start, I hope my observations and opinions are taken in the same spirit in which they have been offered.  Let's all look back on a very successful event, learn from our experience, and put on an even better Wintering Over next year!

                      Best wishes to all,

                      John O.

                      a.k.a. Private Joseph Whitehouse

                      I made it home on Hwy 30 leaving the fort around 5:45 on Sunday. The
                      road was a sheet of ice. Traffic moved at about 20 mph all the way to
                      Longview. I passed numerous vehicles in the ditch along the way. It
                      took me to noticeably past 1 AM to get home. I-5 was fine and I205, as
                      well. I-84 was a X#$!! after Gresham with lots of snowing going on in
                      the Gorge. I have a few pictures to send around once I've had time to
                      look at them and get rid of the fuzzy ones. It's a new camera and I'm
                      not really used to it yet. Anyway, I'll send them around soon. Anyone
                      else with photos?
                      Glen

                      On 1/17/2012 1:49 PM, markbarb2@... wrote:

                      > Thanks to all for making this a very memorable Living History experience.
                      >
                      > Did everyone else make it home OK?
                      >
                      > I went to Portland via Hwy 30 (per Gloria's suggestion) and it was
                      > passable on Sunday afternoon, but I heard Hwy 26 was a mess.
                      >

                      > Sid - You were definitely missed.
                      >

                      > We experienced large snowflake blizzards and a fierce hailstorm with
                      > 50 caliber stones.
                      >
                      > The hail made a real racket on the cedar plank roof of the fort.
                      >
                      > No toes were amputated, as far as I know.
                      >

                      > Here's short clip I found on youtube:
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kK15eZWR94
                      >

                      > Anyone have some pictures to share?
                      >

                      > All the best,