Unexpected connection

  • orthmannjohn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2011
      I stumbled upon a website about the Civil War battle flags of the Iron Brigade, and found a surprising historical link.

      By the 1880s, the beloved but tattered war colors of the Wisconsin regiments were in bad shape. Governor Jeremiah Rusk, the former commander of the 25th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry (my great-great grandad's old outfit) declined to allow them to be taken to the 25th anniversary ceremonies at Gettysburg, saying, "I look upon them as being too precious to risk their destruction."

      Gov. Rusk put the revered standards in the care of the state historical society. For the sake of their preservation, the 35-year old director of the society would no longer allow the flags to appear at public events.

      The name of that young scholar?

      Reuben Gold Thwaites.

      Have a nice day!

      John O.
    • Jim Phillips
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2011
        JOHN:

        Excellent detective work on this connection with one of the L&C Journal's early editors! How very interesting.

        I wonder if anyone has ever written a biography of Thwaites?

        Thanks for the heads-up!!

        Jim

        "We Proceed On...."

        To: PNLHmembers@yahoogroups.com
        From: deeandjohn87@...
        Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 04:30:01 +0000
        Subject: [PNLHmembers] Unexpected connection

      • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2011

          Jim,

          Having "stumbled upon it," I can only call it Inspector Clouseau style detective work!

          John O.