Sacajawea Heritage Days in Pasco, WA, Sept 23-25

  • orthmannjohn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
      Dear PNLH members,

      I would like to invite you to the annual Sacajawea Heritage Days event, at Sacajawea State Park near Pasco, WA.

      The event will begin on Friday, September 23rd, and continue through Sunday, September 25th. Friday's focus will be on providing interactive displays and living history presentations for the local schools. Saturday and Sunday will more oriented to the general public.

      This is a living history event, which will display the lives and skills of early American explorers, the Native American cultures which they found here, and the lives of the early settlers.

      The event will feature a Lewis & Clark encampment, mountain man encampments, and members of the Umatilla, Yakama and Wanapum Nations. Visitors will interact with people who enjoy sharing their skills and knowledge about what life was like two centuries ago.

      There will also be performances by native dancers, story tellers and old-time musicians on Saturday, along with displays of a 19th century steam engine, and a steam-powered tractor.

      Saturday night will feature a Campfire Program. The living history interpreters who are encamped at the park join with visitors around the bonfire to play music, sing, tell stories, and just have a good time. The campfire program starts at around 7:00 PM, and is open to the public.

      This event is free to the public, so the $10 access fee recently instituted for Washington State Parks will be waived.

      ARE YOU INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING IN THE LEWIS & CLARK ENCAMPMENT? Our camp will be at the point of the confluence of the Columbia and Snake Rivers - where the Corps of Discovery camped for two nights in October 1805, and met about 200 members of local tribes.

      We will do in-character, Chautauqua-style programs for the visiting school groups on Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. On Saturday and Sunday, we will will interact with the public in a third-person living history interpretation. Unlike "The Saltmakers Return," we won't keep it up around the clock - just from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

      Elita Tom and Terri Schleiss joined us for the event last year, and Elita's outstanding interpretaion of Sacagawea was one of the highlights of the weekend. They had a good time, and we hope that they will be able to come again this year.

      Glen Allison, who joined PNLH this year in the role of Capt. Lewis at Wintering Over, has portrayed the Captain at Heritage Days for several years.

      Our group will include Park Rangers Reade Obern and Chris Ford, as George Gibson and John Sheilds, respectively. Reade plays the fiddle, and Chris has been honing his skills as a blacksmith and gunsmith. Also participating will be Jim Cochran as George Druillard. At last year's Heritage Days, Jim and Elita teamed up to do a demonstration of sign language for the school kids.

      We would be very happy to welcome any member of PNLH who might wish to portray a member of the Corps at Heritage Days. However, you are also quite welcome to just visit us if you wish.

      If you would like more information, please reply to this email, or you may call me at home at 253-945-1422. Also, here is the address to the website for the event.

      http://www.mctama.org/sacajawea-heritage-days/

      I hope to see you there!

      John Orthmann (a.k.a. Joseph Whitehouse)
    • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011

        Dear PNLH members,

        I neglected to mention in my earlier message that Sacajawea Park is the home of two full-sized, fully functional dugout canoes.  These boats were made by the Hog Heaven - Bitterroot Corps in Idaho, and were used by them and by DESC in many Bicentennial events.  I don't know which went where, but maybe Sid or Tom will recognize them!

        And yes, we do plan to put at least one of them in the water.  I have attached a couple of photos from last year.

        Got a paddle?  Let me know if you are interested!

        John Orthmann

[...]

      • Sidney Stoffels
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
          John,
            I believe these are the two we carved out at Canoe camp in '05. They were used all the way down the Clearwater to Ft Clatsop. Then also used down the Yellowstone River back to St Lious. And yes, very fond memories. I will not be able to be there, but those who are will have a great time.
          Sid

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17, 2011

            Sid,

            Thanks for the history on the dugouts.

            Do you think you will be back in the Northwest anytime soon?

            John O.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18, 2011
              John,
                I apologize for being so slow in replying. In short, the last month has been very full. Thank you for all of your updates and replys on the blog. I am back in Auburn California, trying to play catch up and "let my soul catch up with me".  So those are my only plans at the moment. I do have family in Seattle, so if I decide to get up there I will let you know.
              Sid

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2011

                Sid,

                No need for any apology.  You have had a lot to deal with.

                It seems that this has been a difficult year for many in our PNLH family.  Some have lost loved ones.  Others have faced economic difficulties or lost jobs.  I look forward to when we can all get together again; when we will put on our linen, wool and leather, and share our love of history among ourselves and with others.  I believe that when we do, we will all forget our troubles for a little while.

                I hope you will be able to make it to Wintering Over in January.  Until then, may your Winter be mild, and may you paddle your canoe through calm waters!

                Best wishes,

                John O.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 18, 2011
                  John,
                    Thank you for your kind and understanding words. I hope to see you this winter.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 19, 2011
                    And we ALL hope to see you, Sid!!

                    Jim
                    "We Proceed On...."