Saltmakers Return 2011

  • DeWayne
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6 10:57 PM
      Hello Everyone,
      It is that time to begin thinking about Saltmaker's Return 2011. PNLH needs 5-7 interpreters to portray the salmakers and other members of the expedition that made an appearance at the saltworks during the time it was in operation. If you want to be involved in Saltmakers this year, email me at the address below. The dates and times for Saltmakers this year is Friday, Aug. 19th @4pm to Sunday, August 21st @ 3pm. Respond as soon as possible because the PNLH by-laws state these are first come, first serve positions generally.

      Also, I do not have Aaron Webster's email address and he needs to be contacted. If you have his email address, please contact him about Saltmakers or email his address to me and I will contact him.

      My email address is: chabono1@...

      See you all soon,

      DeWayne Pritchett
    • Sidney Stoffels
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6 11:49 PM
        Pvt Frazier had a great time last year, but am scheduled to be doing LCTHF meeting and return to St Louis in August. I will miss this and you all.
        Pvt Frazier

      • deeandjohn87@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6 11:54 PM

          Sid,

          Sorry to hear you will miss Saltmakers, but hope you have a great time in Omaha at the Annual Meetings.

          Do you expect to be back out West later in the year?

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6 11:59 PM

            Aaron,

            As DeWayne notes in his message below, he did not have your email address.  Are you receiving the PNLHmembers emails?

            John O.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7 12:24 AM
              John,
                Back in Washington for a visit this autumn. After that is an open question.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 7 12:44 AM

                Sid,

                If your are back out here by the last weekend of September, you might consider Heritage Days at Sacajawea Park in Pasco.  I'm sure you remember staying there with DESC; who could forget that windstorm in April 2006, and the flying canoe?  I can assure you that it doesn't normally blow like that in the fall!

                I am hoping to encourage PNLH members to come to Heritage Days, and to use it as a training weekend for period skills, etc.  Here is the website with all the information.

                http://www.mctama.org/sacajawea-heritage-days/

                The mountain man camps are required to pay a registration fee ($15), but Corps of Discovery interpreters are quietly exempted (don't tell the mountain men!).  However, I pay it anyway, to get the medallion and for the Saturday dinner.

                Best wishes,

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 7 8:57 AM
                  howdy folks,
                  yes i am still on the pnlh list.
                  please consider me "in" for saltmakers

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 7 8:37 PM
                    From Science News:

                    Explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark ran into one of the worst gales in two centuries shortly after arriving on the Pacific Northwest coast, researchers have found. In November 1805, Lewis and Clark complained about a “perfect storm” that blew down trees all around them. By studying tree rings from Sitka spruce trees that made it through the tempest, scientists found that it was probably the most severe windstorm in the region for the past 200 years. Paul Knapp of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Keith Hadley of Portland State University in Oregon describe the storm in the June issue of Holocene.

                    http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/330803/title/News_in_Brief_Humans

                    Michael Harbour
                    FreeRice.com Test your knowledge, Feed the hungry.

                  • DeWayne
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 7 10:00 PM
                      Sid, er Pvt Frazier,
                      Sorry to hear you will not be with us to enjoy the pleasures of wading into the ocean up to your ... to get water to boil. Your conversations and friendship will be missed. Have fun back in the settlements. See you soon.

                      DeWayne