News of possible interest including the 34th America's Cup @ San Francisco Bay 7-22 September 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2011
    Ahoy All,

    America's Cub in San Francisco Bay is exciting news! I've signed up to be a volunteer in the realm of communications. Other positions are available, including paid billets.

    We will be involved with co-sponsoring the Navy League's 2013 National Convention in Long Beach and we will be needing volunteer hosts for that early summer of 2013 event.

    Its in the wind to increase the dues for various categories of dues paying membership. Seems some of influence believe it will assist membership and income. I have my doubts on both accounts. I am advising all regular members able to do so to upgrade their Navy League membership to Life Member status that way they will avoid any dues increase and help the Navy League right here and now.

    The Pacific Merchant Marine Council is at a new high, 111 members. The last several days I have been introducing many in the Bay Area to the Navy League to boost our membership. I anticipate further improvement shortly.

    I have thanks to hand out...

    The material submitted to SeaPower magazine about our council's Vice President - Youth Affairs, receiving recognition from the Canadian Legion for her sterling work as an instructor with the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets is in the June issue. BRAVO ZULU Karen Freitas! The council is now noted by Sea Cadets leadership above the Division as a co-sponsor, with the Canadian Legion, in addition to being a supporter!

    Many thanks for our members who traveled east to participate the Annual Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In, May 4. We were a co-sponsor last year and again this year. You can visit http://www.maritimeindustrysailin.com and see we are clearly listed with the other sponsors. The council had a half dozen members participate!

    Many thanks for the eight council members aboard the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN's Seamen's Memorial Cruise Sunday. Our newest member Dave Nolan, Executive Vice President, Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, was aboard. We both had memorial wreaths.

    Many thanks to all members who attended the Pacific Merchant Marine Council - Propeller Club San Francisco Port luncheon Tuesday at Scotts. Good show! I didn't sit in on the port's board meeting afterwards but I did notice the majority present were council members! Thanks all.

    I don't have a firm date, time, place, for our next council event but think Oakland for lunch. It will probably be in July after I return from the NLUS Board of Directors meeting in Maryland. The focus will likely be "WELCOME ABOARD," a special thanks for our new members. Your suggestions always welcome.
    Let's continue to recruit members so we can introduce them at our upcoming special event. No charge for them to attend.

    See what you think of the attached "About Us" one pager attached. It will continue to be tweaked as we progress and continue to identify exactly what we do in support of the maritime industry.

    I've a lot of correspondence and telephoning to do but I always have time to chat with you. Stay in touch! You're special - our council is special. Thanks for being a loyal member!

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS
    The Maritime Logistics Council
    (916) 739-6949 or cell (916) 955-3972