Presidential Proclamation--National Maritime Day

    Message 1 of 2 , May 20 9:02 AM

      From the 2011 proclamation below,

      "United States flag vessels and those who operate them continue to be an integral part of our military operations overseas. They support operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as humanitarian aid missions and disaster relief efforts. Without the steadfast commitment of our mariners, our Nation would not be as prepared to deal with unforeseen events, conflicts, or crises. Their bravery and valor make our waterways safer and more efficient every day.

      Today, our maritime industry is a valuable source of skilled employment for American workers, contributing billions of dollars to our economy. It is also a critical part of our transportation system. Last year, my Administration implemented "America's Marine Highway Program," an effort that enables American businesses to participate in improving the safety and environmental sustainability of our waterways. Our mariners' continued work is helping American industry remain competitive in the global economy, pushing us toward a more prosperous and free 21st century."

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council couldn't have said it better. Advocating - supporting - our nation's merchant marine and maritime industry is what we are all about!

      See you aboard our adopted National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN on the 22nd as we remember with a wreath, prayer, and thoughts those seafarers who made the supreme sacrifice at sea delivering the goods. After that - our luncheon, May 24th with the Propeller Club in Oakland.

      Thanking you in advance for flying the flag on the 22nd at home in remembrance.

      The White House

      Office of the Press Secretary

      For Immediate Release

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/18/presidential-proclamation-national-maritime-day

      May 18, 2011

      Presidential Proclamation--National Maritime Day

      NATIONAL MARITIME DAY, 2011

      - - - - - - -

      BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

      PROCLAMATION

           In times of peace or war, the civilians serving in the United States Merchant Marine have helped keep our Nation safe and prosperous.  We depend on these men and women serving on our ships and tugs, in our ports and shipyards, close to home or far at sea, to connect businesses, service members, and citizens around the world.  On National Maritime Day, we honor their invaluable contributions to America's economic strength and security.

           On May 22, 1819, the SS Savannah completed the first successful voyage by a steam powered ship across the Atlantic, shepherding in a new age of maritime travel and transport.  By the 20th century, the United States maritime trade was booming, fostering exchanges across the world and aiding our military at war.  During World War II, Merchant Marines were critical in providing necessary supplies and services to troops abroad, while suffering an extraordinarily high death rate.  Hundreds of merchant ships fell to enemy action, and nearly one in thirty mariners did not return home.

[...]

           The Congress, by a joint resolution approved May 20, 1933, has designated May 22 of each year as "National Maritime Day," and has authorized and requested the President to issue annually a proclamation calling for its appropriate observance.

           NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2011, as National Maritime Day.  I call upon the people of the United States to mark this observance and to display the flag of the United States at their homes and in their communities.  I also request that all ships sailing under the American flag dress ship on that day.

           IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighteenth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fifth.

      BARACK OBAMA

      Nationally, America's Marine Highways is our council emphasis this year, especially the M - 5 and M - 580 corridors here on the Pacific Coast.

      Internationally it is the scourge of piracy.

      Phelps

      MARAD 13-10
      Wednesday, August 11, 2010
      Contact: Cheron Victoria Wicker
      Tel: 202-366-5067

      http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2010/marad1310.html

      U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood Announces Corridors, Projects and Initiatives Eligible for Funding as Part of America’s Marine Highway

      WASHINGTON, D.C. – Just four months after unveiling the America’s Marine Highway Program, a new initiative to move more cargo on the water rather than on crowded highways, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today announced his selection of marine highway corridors and an initial eight projects and six initiatives along the corridors that will be eligible for federal assistance under the program.

      The Department’s Maritime Administration chose the projects and initiatives from 35 applications submitted by ports and local transportation agencies.

      “Making better use of our rivers and coastal routes offers an intelligent way to relieve some of the biggest challenges we face in transportation – congestion on our roads, climate change, fossil fuel energy use and soaring road maintenance costs,” said Secretary LaHood. “There is no better time for us to improve the use of our rivers and coasts for transportation.”

      The selected corridors are along the West, East and Gulf Coasts, the Great Lakes and many of America’s inland waterways. The Maritime Administration will assist the project sponsors in developing marine transportation services and with identifying potential freight and passenger markets. The designated projects are also eligible to compete for future Marine Highway federal funding, including $7 million in initial funding being made available today.

      “These projects will help make better use of America’s Marine Highway by reducing gridlock, improving the environment, and putting skilled mariners and shipbuilders to work,” said David Matsuda, Maritime Administrator.

      The selected projects include:

      Cross Sound Enhancements Project (Connecticut Department of Transportation): this project will improve ferry capacity and reduce environmental impacts by upgrades to three passenger vehicle/ferries operating between New London, CT, and Orient Point in Long Island, NY.

      New England Marine Highway Expansion Project (Maine Department of Transportation): this project will expand an existing container-on-barge service operating between Newark, NJ, Boston, MA, and Portland, ME. Service capacity and reliability will be improved by the addition of a more seaworthy vessel in the service.

      Cross Gulf Container Expansion (Ports of Manatee, FL, and Brownsville, TX): will expand an existing container-on-barge operation by increasing the frequency and capacity of the service between Brownsville, TX, and Port Manatee, FL, across the Gulf of Mexico.

      Tenn-Tom Waterway Pilot Project (Port Itawamba, MS): this project involves a new container-on-barge service between the Port of Itawamba, MS, on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway and the Port of Mobile, AL, to function as the inland leg of a new route between deep draft Gulf Coast container terminals and manufacturing centers near Port Itawamba.

      Gulf Atlantic Marine Highway Project (South Carolina State Ports Authority and Port of Galveston, TX): this project is intended to transport containerized freight between Gulf, Mid-Atlantic and South Atlantic coastal ports on a modern fleet of U.S. flag vessels.

      Detroit-Wayne County Ferry (Detroit/Wayne County Port Authority): this project will develop a cross-border passenger service between Detroit, MI, and Windsor, Ontario, Canada, focusing on transporting commuters.

      Trans-Hudson Rail Service (Port Authority of New York & New Jersey): this project proposes to expand the quality and capacity of an ongoing cross-harbor rail float service operating between the Greenville Rail Terminal in Jersey City, NJ, and Brooklyn, NY.

      James River Container Expansion (Virginia Port Authority): this project will expand an existing container-on-barge service between the Hampton Roads region of Virginia and Richmond, VA, by increasing frequency of service and starting a new inter-terminal barge service in Hampton Roads.

      In addition to the America’s Marine Highways project designations, Secretary LaHood also identified six initiatives eligible to apply for federal funding for further development of concepts:

      Hudson River Food Corridor Initiative (New York City Soil & Water Conservation District): this initiative will evaluate the feasibility of an alternate means of transporting fresh produce from agricultural regions in North-Central New York near the Hudson River and Long Island to the New York-Newark Metropolitan Area via water.

      New Jersey Marine Highway Initiative (New Jersey Department of Transportation): this initiative will assess the feasibility and opportunities to develop a network of Marine Highway services within New Jersey and between New Jersey and ports in New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Maryland and Virginia.

      East Coast Marine Highway Initiative (Ports of New Bedford, MA, Baltimore, MD, and Canaveral, FL): this initiative proposes to develop a Marine Highway service utilizing a fleet of existing and new-build U.S. flag vessels to transport both international containers and trailers to destinations along the I-95 Corridor. The initiative includes the ports of New Bedford, MA, Baltimore, MD and Canaveral, FL, with others to be added where feasible.

      West Coast Hub-Feeder Initiative (Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District): this initiative will examine the feasibility of an intermodal distribution network served by a Marine Highway service along the coastlines of the states of Washington, Oregon and California.

      Golden State Marine Highway Initiative (Ports of Redwood City, Hueneme and San Diego; and the Humboldt Bay Harbor, Recreation and Conservation District): this initiative is a joint effort by four California ports to improve the efficiency of freight movement by developing a service linking California’s ports to form a 1,100-mile Marine Highway along the west coast.

      Illinois-Gulf Marine Highway Initiative (Heart of Illinois Regional Port District): this initiative will examine opportunities for a Marine Highway service to support Midwest industrial production and operating between U.S. Gulf Coast seaports and Peoria, IL, via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers.

      To date, the Department has awarded $58 million in grants for projects to support the start-up or expansion of Marine Highways services. Today, the Maritime Administration is making available up to $7 million in additional funding for designated projects. Applications are due August 27, 2010.

      For more information about the Marine Highway initiative, and details on individual corridor and project designations, visit www.marad.dot.gov.

      ###

      Message 2 of 2 , May 21 9:13 AM
        In addition to our council's activities, here are some other events...

        http://www.amo-union.net/article.php?a=1131

        National Maritime Day celebrations around the country this week

        On May 22 of each year, America celebrates the merchant mariners who support our country's national defense requirements and honors those who sacrificed their lives in service to the nation. A number of National Maritime Day celebrations are open to the public.

        The Maritime Administration and Military Sealift Command will host National Maritime Day ceremonies and a wreath laying starting at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. Gen. Duncan McNabb, commander of USTRANCOM, will give the keynote address. Attendees must RSVP. More information is available online.

        American Maritime Officers and STAR Center will host a National Maritime Day ceremony on Monday, May 23 at the I.T. Parker Community Center in Dania Beach, Fla. The mayor of Dania Beach, Patricia Flury, and Capt. Christopher Scraba, U.S. Coast Guard Sector Miami, will speak at the event, which will begin at 11 a.m.

        The American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial Committee will host a National Maritime Day observance and memorial service in San Pedro, Calif., on Sunday. The service begins at 11 a.m. at the foot of Sixth Street at the American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial.

        MSC Commander Rear Adm. Mark Buzby will give a keynote address at the Propeller Club of Norfolk's National Maritime Day celebration on Friday. More information is available online.

        On Saturday in Baltimore, the Baltimore Port Alliance and USMMA Alumni, Chesapeake Chapter will host a tour of the N/S Savannah, the only nuclear-powered merchant ship in the U.S. Information is available online.

        National Maritime Day will be celebrated at Massachusetts Maritime Academy on Wednesday, May 25. More information is available online.