Fw: Region Meeting May 7th

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2011
    Ahoy All,

    Please if at all possible register and attend.

    On our council agenda is the opportunity in the afternoon to visit seafarers at the Yountville Veterans Home. Kerry O'Brien has been visiting them so he knows them and where they are located. We desire to show we care as a council about them so the more members the better. Kerry came up with the idea of giving each a box of Girl Scout cookies. Great idea! If you care to share with the expense, you can slip Kerry some $$$.

    How about Bonnie's message below? That council that is moving forward against the tide of declining membership is none other that our council - the Pacific Merchant Marine Council. But right now we are treading water - only one new member so far in 2011. Please bring your friends and associates into our council. Our goal is to reach 150 members ASAP - that will move us from the NLUS small council category to medium. Beyond that is 300 members and large council status. The ultimate goal is to be the largest council in the Pacific Central Region. I know we can do it with new individual memberships, new community affiliate memberships, and a few corporate members, http://www.navyleague.org/membership.

    We are unique within the Navy League and that uniqueness makes us special. I am so appreciative you are a part of the council. I thank you for your continued support. Please help us continue to grow.

    Look forward to seeing you on May 7 at the region meeting, May 22 on the O'BRIEN, and May 24th at our joint luncheon with the Propeller Club. Outside the Bay Area, a council lunch,at council expense,is in Sacramento May 11 at the Maritime Leadership Symposium. You can find information on all we do at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/messages.

    Thanks.

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council, the Maritime Logistics Council

    Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:46 AM
    Subject: Region Meeting May 7th

    Attached is a more detailed agenda for the upcoming Region Meeting.

    One of the areas we will discuss in detail is how to energize your council, and actions that you can take to recruit and retain members. These topics should be of interested to every Navy League Council member, Board member and National Director in our Region!!

    In 1997 the Pacific Central Region had more than 6,000 members.
    As of 1 March 2011 we have 3,164 members!
    We have 25 Councils in our Region and all but one are losing members at an alarming rate!!

    If we don't do more to recruit and retain council members, we will cease to exist and so will the support that we provide to ships, stations and our youth groups.

    Please join me at the Region Meeting on May 7th. I look forward to working with you on the membership issue. If you have any questions, please let me know.

    Cheers, Bonnie

    Bonnie B. Potter, MD
    President, Pacific Central Region
    Navy League of the United States