Council concerns further raised over piracy / mistreatment of seafarers being held by pirates

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2011

      Ahoy Members and Friends.

      Piracy - all aspects of it - is a real concern. Our luncheon with the Propeller Club Tuesday, May 24th, will focus on it. You can find more than you may care to know on the world wide web.

      The relatively new website www.SaveOurSeafarers.com states the case well. Please go there and read the pages.

      Below is our council E-mail to President Obama courtesy of Save Our Seafarers. Also below is the text from the Human Cost and Economic Cost pages.

      The International Maritime Organization has as its World Maritime Day theme for 2011, "Piracy: orchestrating the response." World Maritime Day 2011 will be observed during the week of 26 to 30 September. Below is recent correspondence from the IMO on the subject. Anticipate our council September luncheon (exact date and place to be determined) to focus on the subject again.

      I would like to see the Navy League address this issue at its June Board of Directors meeting and send a letter to the president as well.

      Our Navy is stretched thin. An international coordinated response is necessary. I am thinking of our WWII response of convoys with armed escorts to reduce the threat of the U-boats might be a partial solution. I definitely don't believe pirates should be captured only to be set free again to ply their trade. The IMO's action plan should be further implemented.

      Please reread my message:

      Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:15 PM
      Subject: [PMMC-NLUS] Piracy at record high - May 24 luncheon to address situation

      I have been posting to a Linkedin Maritime Executive discussion on the subject:

      Please keep all seafarers in your thoughts and prayers. It is bad enough to face working conditions aboard some vessels, storms, but increased piracy. It's a scourge that can be greatly reduced with a strong show of force.

      The White House
      1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
      Washington, DC 20500
       04 / 19 / 2011

      Dear President Obama,

      URGENT NEED FOR ACTION TO ERADICATE PIRACY OFF THE COAST OF SOMALIA AND IN THE INDIAN OCEAN

      Violent acts of piracy off the coast of Somalia and the Gulf of Aden have spiraled out of control into the Arabian Sea and the entire Indian Ocean. Never in history has such a vast sea area been ceded to armed criminality. Urgent action is required by all governments to take the necessary steps to eradicate this unlawful scourge.

      The threat to the flow of world trade is unprecedented, throttling the Suez Canal routes as well as oil flows out of the Middle East Gulf - 40 percent of shipborne oil passes through this area. Ship owners have been reassessing their options. Recent reports indicate that piracy is already costing the global economy $7-12 billion per year.

      There are currently more than 35 ships being held captive for ransom with a shocking total of almost 800 seafarers held hostage. The human cost to the captive seafarers held in appallingly stressful conditions - including physical torture and psychological harm - cannot be adequately calculated. The stark figures do not include the much greater number of seafarers facing gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades as they skillfully evade capture in the face of increasingly determined and aggressive attacks. Loss of life has already occurred and more is inevitable.

      A significant number of warships and other military assets have been deployed to the region. These efforts are deeply appreciated but, in the face of the current escalation of piratical activity, and particularly with the escalating use of captured merchant ships as motherships to extend the pirates’ reach and capability, these naval forces are simply insufficient in the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean.

      There is an urgent need to return law and order to one of the most vital intersections of trading routes in the world. If nothing is done, the world economy is at risk.

      I specifically ask for your government to take the necessary steps to eradicate piracy at sea and
      shore by:

      • Reducing the effectiveness of  the easily-identifiable motherships
      • Authorizing naval forces to hold pirates and deliver them for prosecution and punishment
      • Fully criminalizing all acts of piracy and intent to commit piracy under national laws, in accordance with their mandatory duty to co-operate to suppress piracy under international conventions
      • Increasing naval assets available in this area
      • Providing greater protection and support for seafarers
      • Tracing and criminalizing the organizers and financiers behind the criminal networks

      Yours sincerely,

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2011
        Piracy remains the Council's #1 international concern. Here is some recent bad news:

        Phelps

        Piracy: Attacks Getting Bigger, Bolder

        Thursday, July 14, 2011

        According to data released July 14, 2011, by the International Maritime Bureau, pirate attacks off Somalia and in the GoA/Indian Ocean region climbed dramatically in the first six months of this year. Figures reveal that there were 266 attacks on vessels in this period compared with 196 attacks in 2010.

        "In the last six months, Somali pirates attacked more vessels than ever before and they're taking higher risks," IMB director Pottengal Mukundan said. They fired on ships for the first time during the monsoon season last month, he said. Pirates hijacked one in eight vessels attacked in the first half of the year, compared with one in four a year earlier, the report showed. The most recent successful hijacking took place on April 30th, with 44 further attempted attacks since then, the IMB said. Somali pirates took 361 sailors hostage and kidnapped 13 in the first half of 2011.

        The number of violent and organized attacks off West Africa also increased, the IMB said. According to the report, monsoon weather in the Indian Ocean region that began in early June displaced pirates to the Gulf of Aden and the southern Red Sea. It called the 18 attacks reported in the Red Sea area since May 20th, "a cause for concern." Three attacks in the Indian Ocean in adverse weather showed threats remained during monsoons for the first time, the IMB said, citing winds of 34 miles an hour and swells of 4.5 meters (15 feet).

        "It may be that these recent Indian Ocean incidents are a sign of desperation on behalf of pirates, or that there are many more pirate action groups operating now than there were in 2010, particularly outside the Gulf of Aden," the IMB said. The IMB cited robust ship hardening and security measures as well as the presence of EU NAVFOR as mitigating factors in the wake of recent, unsuccessful attacks on merchant vessels.

        Despite the increasingly desperate tactics used by pirates in the Gulf of Aden, Indian Ocean and Red Sea areas, Neptune Maritime Security has an incident-free transit record, and offers both unarmed and armed security solutions for all types of vessel. Neptune Maritime Security is happy to work closely not only with its clients but also with other government agencies to ensure the safe passage of vessels.