Fw: IMO Briefing: Open letter to seafarers

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 9:40 AM
    Ahoy All,

    "2010 Year of the Seafarer." Our council, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, to my knowledge was the only Navy League council that picked up on this International Maritime Organization theme in 2010. We ran with it in correspondence, activities, events, and virtually all we did last year.

    Before that we picked up on Piracy well before it gained notoriety. We, as a council, were prepared to give Captain Richards Phillips, skipper of the Maersk Alabama, recognition and a life NLUS membership. That initial effort, along with the media, bumped this initiative up to the NLUS Headquarters level. Piracy is still a concern of many including this council. We retain our council's graphic 2008 DVD video Porampo: Pirates of the Malacca Straits ready to show to interested audiences.

    Seafarers remain a primary concern of this council and the scrounge of piracy will continued to be addressed.

    We commend the International Maritime Organization for focusing on important maritime issues and will continue to be supportive.

    Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 2:02 PM
      Hi Phelps, I hope you are well and living life to its fullest. I just read your letter on "Piracy" and I don't know if you knew but I flew out to Kenya to relieve the Boatswain who was onboard during the highjacking and got the whole story plus photographs of the attackers and the boat they died in. The truth of what really happened was a little different to what actually happened, but as we all know the media is always looking for a new "hero"  and the stories they wrote certainly made U.S. Merchant Mariners look pretty good. I will show you all the pictures and tell you all the first hand stories which were told to me by the highjacked crew when we meet next.
      My shoulder is still healing after my bike injury last September but I should be AOK by April.
      Take care Matey,
      Roger (Aussie)