Fw: [PCR-NLUS] NLUS Council Alert February 17, 2011

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2011

      Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:51 AM
      Subject: [PCR-NLUS] NLUS Council Alert February 17, 2011

      February 17, 2011

      Hello Navy Leaguers!   Hopefully, the end of the severe weather is in sight and your council has finished planning your 2011 Annual Plan.  Your Region President is working to organize the required Annual Region Meeting, which is being planned for the benefit of council leaders.  Training is normally available at Region and Area Meetings, or can be scheduled before or after an Area or Region meeting for your council.  Please plan to attend your Region Meeting with as many council officers as can attend.  Call me if you want to schedule additional training at your location before or after the meeting! Don’t forget the 2011 Centennial of Naval Aviation is underway and the upcoming War of 1812 Bicentennial events are being planned and should be incorporated in your program planning.   If you have questions or comments about the information below, please contact the Member Service Center at service@... or 800.356.5760.  Thanks!  Bill Waylett

      Featured Sections:

      I.     Best Practices
      II.    Legislative Affairs
      III.   Membership
      IV.  Public Relations
      V.   Development
      VI.  Announcements

      I.  Best Practices

      One of the characteristics of council leaders who initiate best practice initiatives is they see an opportunity and seize it!   Here are recent examples:

      The US Navy’s Green Initiative: The Great Green Fleet
      Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus and Admiral Gary Roughhead, Chief of Naval Operations, have announced that the Navy and Marine Corps will reduce carbon-based fuel consumption to 50 per cent of the energy used in the Department of the Navy by the year 2020.  The reduction will apply to ships, aircraft, vehicles and shore installations.  Ethanol will not be counted since it doesn’t have adequate energy density.  For example:
      •        On Earth Day, 2010, the Navy flew an F/A-18 Super Hornet at Mach 1.2