Military Sealift Command has a new executive director

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2011
      Ahoy All,
      We will see if we can bring Mr. Thackrah aboard the Navy League and our council.
      Advance notice: Next luncheon is Monday, March 21, at 11:30 aboard the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. The meal will be a catered traditional Irish hot meal. Cost $25 with advance paid reservation. For guests who join the council for one or two years the meal is free. The program will be... still firming up details - guaranteed new and interesting. Green is the operative color; free drawing ticket for all with green attire. No blarney.
      President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Senior Vice President, Pacific Central Region
      Vice President, Pacific Southwest Region
      National Director
      Navy League of the United States
      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 cell |
      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered
      11 December 2006. It advocates for the US maritime
      industry. Luncheon meetings are the 3rd Monday in
      March, June, September, and December in the San
      Francisco Bay Area. New members welcomed! For
      2011, we offer a three year membership for the cost
      of two years, $90.
      New council membership discount and membership incentive program:
      • For 2011 the council will offer a three year membership for the cost of two years. A one year membership is $50, two years $90, and three $125. For individuals who care to take advantage of it, the council will reduce the cost to $90. Sure we would rather have the full $125 from the individual but if it takes a kicker to close, this is it. The $50 savings over a one year membership with two renewals also applies to life memberships.
      • The 2011 incentive for one and two year memberships is a $25 voucher for any council luncheon or other council sponsored event. Yes, in 2011 we will be doing other things like field trips near and far, hosting meetings with other councils, and engaging in NLUS Community Service Organization Presentations. For one year memberships the voucher is good for a year. For two year memberships, it is good for two years. Can only use it once. This is actually a continuation, with a slight modification, of our complementary council lunch for anyone who joins the NLUS and council. A new NLUS community affiliate membership at $400 comes with a wall plaque and four individual memberships. Each of those four individuals would receive a $25 council voucher. Corporate memberships also possible with a host of additional benefits.
      For more on Navy League membership see www.navyleague.org/membership. It is best that new memberships and discount three year renewals be handled through me by E-mail and telephone. For renewals please contact me before your membership expires. All handled directly with NLUS HQ pay full fare.

      John Thackrah Named Exec. Director of Navy's Military Sealift Command

      Monday, January 31st, 2011

      The U.S. Navy's Military Sealift Command welcomed its new executive director John Thackrah Jan. 24. Thackrah - a member of the Senior Executive Service - will oversee MSC's business operations and serve as a senior advisor to MSC's commanding admirals.

      Headquartered in Washington, D.C., MSC is the ocean transportation provider for the Department of Defense - responsible for the operation of more than 110 civilian-crewed, noncombatant ships supporting military and humanitarian missions worldwide.

      Thackrah comes to MSC from the Navy's Strategic Systems Program, where he served as the principle deputy. SSP provides the nation's sea-based deterrent missile systems. Thackrah began his Navy career in 2005 as the deputy assistant secretary for management and budget. Thackrah has also served as assistant secretary of the Navy for research, development and acquisition and as chief of staff to the assistant secretary of the Navy.

      "This is a huge thrill," said Thackrah. "The reputation of this command precedes it, so being able to come here is really a treat. I'm looking forward to it. It's a great group of people, a great command and a great mission that it accomplishes across the spectrum."

      Prior to joining government service, Thackrah was a senior executive at United Technologies Corporation.

      Thackrah has a Master of Business Administration from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a bachelor's degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering from the University of Delaware.

      Richard Haynes, who had served as MSC's executive director since 1997, had a farewell ceremony on Jan. 21. Haynes first joined MSC in 1985 as the command's senior legal counsel.

      Source: U.S. Navy Military Sealift Command