Wreaths Across America

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2010
      Purchase Order
      Ahoy Members and Friends,

      Once again the council is participating in Wreaths Across America, www.wreathsacrossamerica.org .

      Ceremonies at various California Veteran cemeteries begin at 0900 sharp. If attending, arrive early as parking could be a problem.

      It is not too late to individually sponsor wreaths. Specific cemeteries or gravesites can not be specified on your order.

      The Arkansas Division Sea Cadets will be participating at the Veterans National Cemetery at the Presidio.  The list of California ceremony locations is https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/Locations/California.

      We will endeavor to have wreaths at the National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN and at the maritime monuments pierside near the bow of the ship.

      In Honor Of: American Merchant Mariners and the US Navy Armed Guard
      Marker Text: "Dedicated to the memory of the American Merchant Mariners and the US Navy Armed Guard who gallantly went down to the sea in ship while defending the freedom of the United States during the time of war."

      Date of dedication: Oct 7, 1994

      Who Put it Here?: Golden Gate Chapter of the American Merchant Marines Veterans

      Description of Memorial: The plaque is situated next to an anchor on the pier. About thirty feet south on the pier is the memorial of the Baton Rouge Victory (upper left in photograph).

      From: Guilherme Freitas <g.h.freitas.usnscc@...>
      Subject: 11DEC10 Plan of the Day
      Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 5:47 AM

      All Hands,

      Attached is the Plan of the Day for our drill involving Wreaths Across America at San Francisco National Cemetery on 11DEC10.

      We will provide a color guard and help place 1700 wreaths.

           WO Freitas

      Schedule

      0800-0815               Muster at Veterans Administration San Francisco National Cemetery; www.wreathsacrossamerica.org

      0815-0845               Color Guard Detail and Bugler prepare for ceremony

      0845-0900               Fall in for ceremony

      0900-1000               Wreaths Across America ceremony

      1000-1200               Placement of wreaths throughout cemetery with National Society Daughters of the American Revolution La Puerta de Oro San Francisco Chapter

      1200                        Liberty Call

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2012

        Our council holiday luncheon December 11 is not the only thing going on in San Francisco. Below is some recent E-mail correspondence pertaining to the Wreaths Across America ceremony at the San Francisco National Cemetery at the Presidio San Francisco, December 15.

        We thank member CDR Kurt Birkhahn for answering the call to represent the US Merchant Marine at the wreath laying ceremony at the Presidio.

        We also thank the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets for their assistance distributing the wreaths and otherwise assisting.

        May I encourage all of you to attend the ceremony at a National Cemetery near you? You can find the details on each by visiting http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org. Photos and a report appreciated.

        It is not too late to individually donate funds for a wreath as well. The council donated wreaths this year to the Presidio Cemetery.

        Wreaths Sponsorship
                                                                                          Selected Location: CAPNSF - San Francisco National Cemetery at Presidio San Francisco
                                                                                        In Memory Of... American Merchant Marine Veterans

        Past, present, and future - the Pacific Merchant Marine Council is engaged in maritime activities.

        See many of you at the luncheon on the 11th!

        Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:47 AM
        Subject: Re: Wreath Across America - assistance

        Kurt: Thank you for taking the time to represent the US Merchant Marine and Navy Services. Know they appreciate your taking the time out of your busy schedule.
        BZ Kurt.

        RADM Frank Johnston,USMS
        Vice President/Commissioner
        Board of Pilot Commissioners for
        the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo and Suisun

        On Dec 7, 2012, at 23:58, Frank Opelski wrote:

        CDR Kurt Birkhahn:

        Thank you for responding to the short notice request for a representative of the U.S. Merchant Marine to participate in the Wreaths Across America Ceremony at the San Francisco National Cemetery on Saturday, 15 December 2012, rain or shine. Your support to honor the veterans is appreciated and I am looking forward to meeting you. Please forward a copy of your biography to me at your earliest convenience.

        To avoid congestion on the cemetery roads, we plan to direct as much traffic as possible to the parking lot for the chapel located adjacent to the cemetery. Since you are part of the official party, drive through the cemetery gate and ask one of the personnel directing traffic where to park. I recommend arriving at the cemetery by 0800, then ask for me, Tim Albert or Edgar Deleon for further instructions. In the pavilion to the right of the memorial, refreshments will be available at no charge.

        There will be representatives for the Army, the Navy, the Marines, the Air Force, the Coast Guard, the Merchant Marine and the POWs/MIAs. The seven service representatives will be introduced and place the ceremonial wreath for their service branch at a designated point during the ceremony.

        Following is an overview of the ceremony plan. This year, the Band of the Golden West from Travis AFB is joining the WAA ceremony for the first time. At 0830, The band will begin playing for approximately 30 minutes. At 0900, the actual ceremony will start, There will be a short parade on the concrete walkway to the monument where the podium is located and the service representatives will take their seats to the right of the podium until called upon to place their ceremonial wreath. The parade will be led by a SFPD bagpiper, followed by the Civil Air Patrol Color Guard and the Navy Sea Cadet Color Guard, and then the service representatives.

        After welcoming remarks by the master of ceremonies and the invocation by the chaplain, the keynote speaker will be introduced. Following the keynote speaker, the service representatives will be introduced and they will place the ceremonial wreath for their service. Afterwards the public will lay wreaths at the graves.

        FYI, following are several links to videos of the ceremony held last year.
        This first video shows Chuck Kohler who is a Pearl Harbor Survivor and was the keynote speaker. The Warriors Watch provided a motorcycle escort for him and his family from Concord where he resides to the cemetery and for his return to Concord.

        This second video was taken from the Huey flyover during the ceremony. The Huey will return this year; the flyover is scheduled at 0930 and it will make several passes.

        This third video shows the ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery held in a prior year. It is a powerful video and it was broadcast by one of the national television networks.

        Additional information is available at wreathsacrossamerica.org and more WAA videos are available at YouTube.com

        Thank you for joining us to remember and honor the departed veterans.

        Frank Opelski, Lt Col, CAP
        WAA Project Officer
        44th Composite Sqdn, CAWG
        925-216-9850

        In a message dated 12/7/2012 9:28:12 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Kurt Birkhahn writes:
        Phelps-

        It would be an honor to be present and unless otherwise directed, in dress blues with white gloves I will be ready to lay the wreath.

        Standing by for any further detail (muster time, specific meet location, protocol instructions)

        Thank you

        Sincerely & Respectfully,

        Kurt Birkhahn
        MARAD Pacific (MAR617) Safety & Security
        Marine Engineer & Surveyor, GTS Admiral Callaghan / MV Cape Orlando
        USDOT Maritime Administration
        201 Mission Street, STE 1800
        San Francisco CA 94105
        Desk 415-744-2589