Governor Schwarzenegger: Veterans Day Proclamation

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2010

      11/10/2010

      November 11th, 2010, as “Veterans Day.”

      PROCLAMATION by the Governor of the State of California

      The United States is a shining symbol of freedom and opportunity to millions of people all over the world. We owe our safety and security to the the countless women and men who have selflessly sacrificed their lives to protect our freedoms and rights. On November 11th, we honor the valiant women and men in uniform who put their lives on the forefront of war so that we may live securely in our land of liberty.

      Our veterans strengthen our nation and bring peace to other countries. Each and every American citizen owes their life to these soldiers. These brave individuals left the safety of their neighborhoods and loved ones to protect us through many struggles. From the Revolutionary War that won us our initial secession, to fighting terrorism in the Middle East, our veterans have overcome tremendous hurdles to protect our lives.

      The Golden State is proud to be home to over two million veterans, more than any other state in the nation. On Veterans Day, we recognize and honor the immeasurable sacrifices that every member of the military has made on our behalf. We are truly grateful for their commitment to the freedom of our nation and our people. On this day, I ask all Californians to take the time to commemorate our veterans’ heroism and legacy of protecting us in any corner of the world. May we always keep in our hearts the bravery of our veterans and those in the armed forces who continue to serve us today.

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, do hereby proclaim November 11th, 2010, as “Veterans Day.”

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 9th day of November, 2010.

      ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
      Governor of California

      ATTEST:

      DEBRA BOWEN
      Secretary of State

      There is much on the internet about Veterans Day. A good starting point is http://www.answers.com/topic/veterans-day.

      Of special note:

      Free US Military Records
      Veterans Day special. Free access to US Military Records Nov 11-14.
      Ancestry.com/FreeMilitaryRecords