Naval Academy Secures Record Eighth-Straight Bowl Game Selection!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2010

      "Navy's 76 points set a single-game program scoring record for the modern era, surpassing 74 points against North Texas in 2007. It was the most points for the Midshipmen in a game since 1919."

      Now Go Navy, Beat Army!

      Anyone for Navy football in San Diego, Thursday, December 23? A bus trip is a possibility but more likely carpooling from various councils. Members and friends of the Pacific Central Region could sit together if someone is willing to corridnate the ticket purchasing. Not me. Another option is council TV parties since it will be televised on ESPN.

      Always appreciated are those Navy Leaguers who purchase tickets for Midshipmen to attend the game.

      I guess you heard, Air Force decidedly beat Army 42 - 22, November 6, so the Commander in Chief Trophy ships out from the Naval Academy, Annapolis, to the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs. See story below; read it and weep.

      Ahead is the 111th Annual Army Black Knights vs. Navy Midshipmen game. It is to be televised on CBS. Kick-off is 1430 EST, Saturday, December 11, at Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia. Definitely council party time.

      Go Navy, Beat Army!

      Phelps
      _____________________________

      WINSTON SALEM, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2010) U.S. Naval Academy slot back Aaron Santiago carries the ball during the first-half of an NCAA college football game between the U.S. Naval Academy and Wake Forest University. The Midshipmen beat the Demon Deacons 28-27. (U.S. Navy photo)

      U.S. Naval Academy Secures Record Eighth-Straight Bowl Game Selection
      Story Number: NNS101109-29Release Date: 11/9/2010 6:07:00 PM
      http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=57101

      From Naval Academy Athletics Association Public Affairs

      ANNAPOLIS, Md. (NNS) -- The Naval Academy has qualified to play in the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl Thursday, December 23, as a result of its November 6 victory over East Carolina.

      Naval Academy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk said the game will be played at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego against a projected opponent from the Mountain West Conference. The game will be televised nationally by ESPN, and the game time is set for 5 p.m. PST, 8 p.m. locally.

      Qualifying for the Poinsettia Bowl is a landmark achievement for the football program as it marks the first time in school history that Navy has gone to eight-straight bowl games.

      "We strongly encourage Navy fans to buy their bowl tickets directly from the Naval Academy Athletic Association," said Gladchuk. "Our goal is to bring a large contingent of the Brigade of Midshipmen, and we expect more than 20,000 Navy fans in the stands. It is very important for this game and for future Navy bowl considerations for our fans to purchase tickets through the NAAA.

      "If you can't make it to the game, we ask that Navy fans buy tickets for our midshipmen and enlisted personnel, which will allow us to create the usual pageantry of Navy football. San Diego is a Navy town, and it would be great if we could send any interested enlisted personnel and their family to the game," said Gladchuk.

      For more news from U.S. Naval Academy, visit www.navy.mil/local/usna.
      _____________________________

      Navy rolls past East Carolina 76-35

      http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/sports/capsules-119044-takes-cic.html

      GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Ricky Dobbs and his Navy teammates just kept running right at East Carolina's struggling defense.

      Once the Midshipmen forced a flurry of third-quarter turnovers, Navy was headed for a record-setting road romp against the two-time defending Conference USA champions.

      Dobbs ran for a touchdown and threw for two more scores as Navy beat East Carolina 76-35 on Saturday, setting a school single-game scoring record while handing the Pirates their ugliest loss under first-year coach Ruffin McNeill.

      Alexander Teich ran for 157 yards and a score for the Midshipmen (6-3), while Dobbs also ran for 100 yards to give the Midshipmen a pair of 100-yard rushers in the same game for the first time this season.

      With the win, Navy qualified for a bowl game for the eighth straight season and will play in the Poinsettia Bowl against an opponent from the Mountain West Conference on Dec. 23.

      It was quite a way for the Midshipmen to bounce back from last weekend's loss to Duke, which jumped out to a 24-0 lead before holding on for a 34-31 win. This time, facing another prolific passing attack, the Midshipmen forced the Pirates (5-4) into the mistakes the Blue Devils didn't make and turned a close game at halftime into a rout.

      Navy's 76 points set a single-game program scoring record for the modern era, surpassing 74 points against North Texas in 2007. It was the most points for the Midshipmen in a game since 1919.

      "I turned to one of the coaches and said, 'I've never scored 76 points in my life,'" said Teich, who had a 64-yard touchdown run up the middle in the first quarter. "That was an awesome experience and I think it was good for everybody coming off that loss last week."

      The game will remain etched in East Carolina's program history as well. It was the most points scored by either East Carolina or an opponent in Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, while Navy's 521 yards rushing were the most by an opponent here and the second-most allowed by the Pirates ever. It was also the second-most points ever allowed by East Carolina, trailing Guilford's 79 points in November 1932.

      "It hurts my pride," East Carolina defensive tackle Josh Smith said. "I've never been this embarrassed — not necessarily for myself, but just for other guys because I know how much it meant to a bunch of guys."

      Navy led just 28-21 at halftime with both offenses — Navy's triple-option and East Carolina's pass-heavy spread — moving the ball effectively. But while the Midshipmen kept plugging away, East Carolina came undone by losing three fumbles in four offensive snaps.

      The Midshipmen converted the first from Jon Williams into a field goal, then Dobbs found Aaron Santiago for an easy 29-yard touchdown pass after another fumble from Williams on a botched handoff from Davis. Then, after Davis lost the ball, Gee Gee Greene scampered untouched around the left side for 12 yards to make it 45-21 with 8:52 left in the quarter.

      "I remember after the second (turnover), the coaches were going over a scheme we were going to do on a play and as he was writing it down, the defense got another fumble," Dobbs said. "That's when it just becomes fun because everything is so fast-paced and you've just got to go out there and execute."

      With that comfortable lead, Navy could relentlessly run the ball the rest of the day and focus on melting the clock. The mistake-prone Pirates, meanwhile, could only watch the game slip further out of reach.

      By the time the fourth quarter arrived, Navy had run for 387 yards and scored 55 points while the normally rowdy Dowdy-Ficklen was three-quarters empty as a chilly rain began to fall. Reserve Kriss Proctor scored on a 23-yard keeper for a 69-35 lead midway through the fourth to set the stadium scoring record by an opponent, surpassing Louisville's 63 points in 1998.

      East Carolina's best scoring day here was 66 points against East Tennessee State in November 1981.

      Davis threw five TD passes for the Pirates, and even set program records with 43 completions and 65 attempts. He also finished 1 yard shy of tying David Garrard's single-game passing mark with 413 yards.

      Most of that, however, came after the outcome was long decided.

      "It's a hard pill to swallow when you have big stats like that," Davis said. "It's just a bad feeling right now."

      -- Aaron Beard

      Air Force beats Army 42-22, takes CIC Trophy

      November 06, 2010 4:55 PM

      WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) — When Air Force quarterback Tim Jefferson was knocked to the Michie Stadium turf and out of the game against Army in the second quarter, he wasn't about to remain on the sideline. Not with the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy within his grasp.

      Jefferson scored twice and hit Jonathan Warzeka on touchdown passes of 53 and 63 yards, and the Air Force defense forced two turnovers the Falcons converted into touchdowns in a 42-22 victory on Saturday to win that elusive piece of hardware — emblematic of supremacy among the three service academies — outright for the 17th time.

      "For our players, it's neat, really neat," Air Force coach Troy Calhoun said. "Looking at the last 56 days, our best football could be in front of us."

      Navy had won the past seven CICs, but the Falcons beat the Middies 14-6 in October behind Jefferson's two touchdowns. Saturday's victory gave Air Force (6-4) its first CIC trophy since 2002, snapped a three-game losing streak, and made the Falcons eligible for a bowl game.

      "Not even being able to see the trophy, we weren't just winning this for my class, we were winning it for everyone that's played Air Force football," senior defensive end Rick Ricketts said after the Falcons' seventh straight win at Michie Stadium.

      Jefferson scored the Falcons' first touchdown on a 3-yard run to give them a 7-6 lead early in the second, then hit Warzeka on a broken play for the 53-yard score for a 14-6 lead.

      When Jacob Bohn bolted up the middle for an 18-yard touchdown, the Black Knights (5-4) were back within a point and seemed set to take command when Donnie Dixon slammed Jefferson to the turf.

      The Falcons punted when they couldn't get anything going behind backup Connor Dietz, but Anthony Wright intercepted Army quarterback Trent Steelman in the final minute of the second quarter and returned it 32 yards to the Army 23. That gave the Falcons an important momentum swing, and Jefferson, a junior, came right back in.

      "I sensed he'd be back. He's a tough guy. He's a gamer," Ricketts said. "He's a leader, even though he doesn't say that much. We can just look at him."

      Four plays later and with only 14 seconds left, Nathan Walker scored on a 2-yard run to give Air Force a 21-13 halftime lead.

      It was the beginning of sweet redemption from a week ago, when the Falcons had five turnovers in a 28-23 loss at home to then-No. 8 Utah. Jordan Waiwaiole returned a fumble for another touchdown that gave Air Force a commanding 35-16 lead early in the fourth.

      "The last two games, we were the ones hurt by turnovers," Jefferson said. "This game, we kind of turned that around. We knew whoever won the turnover battle was going to have a great chance to win. Army was doing a real good job on turnovers all season. Our defense did a great job."

      Army was the only remaining team in the country that had not thrown an interception, and the Black Knights entered the game with a +1.25 turnover margin, fifth-best in the country. But they were done in by some timely passing by the usually ground-oriented Falcons and those two huge turnovers on a sun-splashed day.

      "You can do so many good things on defense," second-year Army coach Rich Ellerson said. "That's the game. That shows how critical those things are."

      Army gained a 6-0 lead on field goals of 30 and 41 yards by Alex Carlton before Jefferson got the Falcons going. He scored on a 3-yard run on the first play of the second quarter and hit Warzeka for a 53-yard score.

      "I thought he was throwing it to me. It came off his hand funny," said Warzeka, who found out after he went to the bench that the pass was intended for wideout Mikel Hunter. "All in all, it worked out."

      Carlton's third field goal, a season-long from 46 yards out, moved the Black Knights within 21-16 with 2:22 left in the third.

      But Jefferson, who was just 3 of 7 passing for 124 yards, then avoided a blitzing Donnie Dixon and hit Warzeka for a 63-yard score in the final minute of the period to give the Falcons a 28-16 lead.

      "We knew we had to come out with a certain amount of punch," Warzeka said. "We stumbled a little bit from the get-go, but..."

      The Black Knights lost any chance at a comeback when Waiwaiole scooped up a fumble near midfield by Jared Hassin and ran it back 52 yards for a score and a commanding 35-16 lead with 12:39 left.

      Air Force finished with 277 yards rushing to Army's 244 in a battle of option attacks. Walker finished with 109 yards on 15 carries to lead the Falcons, and Hassin led the Black Knights with 114, his fourth straight 100-yard game.

      Army played much of the game without standout defensive lineman Josh McNary, who was suffering from a strained hamstring. And when the Black Knights — who have thrived on fourth down, converting 10 of 13 on the season — elected to kick a field goal on a fourth-and-1 from the Air Force 13 on the first drive of the game, the Falcons knew it might be their day.

      "That was huge," Warzeka said. "A team like Army thrives off of momentum. If they had jumped out on us 14-0, it probably would have been a completely different game."

      It was the final home game of the season for the Black Knights, who close with Kent, Notre Dame and Navy, and it brought out a sports celebrity crowd. In the press box was New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi, as well as former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason.