Tom Crowley honored

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2010

      I would like to think I had a hand in the nomination of Mr. Crowley for the Navy League's 2010 Vincent T. Hirsch Maritime Award. Last winter I brought Mr. Crowley, a Navy League Life Member (San Francisco Council), and his firm's Haiti relief effort to the attention of Dan Branch and Doug Crawford at NLUS HQ. Crowley Marine is one maritime firm that would make an outstanding NLUS corporate member - with council affiliation of course. It is involved in a variety of maritime tasks and the DoD (MSC and USTRANSCIM) as well as MARAD contracts with it for services.

      Both Sam Sause and myself had the opportunity to chat with him at the national convention. He has our 20 December luncheon invitation and our business cards. Either he or representatives from the Oakland Office may be attending. The corporate office is in Jacksonville Florida.

      We also met Rear Admiral Mark H. Buzby, USN, Commander, Military Sealift Command, and his aide. RADM Buzby along with MARAD Administrator Matsuda have open invitations to be our council guest at a reception if and when they are in the San Francisco area. It was exciting to see, at least for me, RADM Buzby on the Awards Luncheon dais for the presentation of all the various awards (more on this later).

      October 29, 2010

      Tom Crowley honored for Haiti relief work

      Tom Crowley, Jr., Chairman, President and CEO of Crowley Maritime Corporation, has been awarded the U.S. Navy League Vincent T. Hirsch Maritime Award for outstanding leadership. Rear Admiral Mark H. Buzby, USN, Commander, Military Sealift Command, presented the award at the Sea Services Award luncheon during the League's 2010 National Convention in Jacksonville, Fla.

      The award read in part: "He has provided exceptional service as an active participant of joint industry and Department of Defense groups working to provide strategic sealift for the United States in times of national need. During the 2010 Haiti relief efforts, Crowley Maritime worked closely with the U.S. Transportation Command to reopen cargo operations in the devastated port facilities, allowing humanitarian relief into the earthquake-ravaged country while successfully completing the largest post-disaster (cargo) lightering operation ever. The U.S. Merchant Marine and maritime industry will be forever grateful for his contributions to the maritime strength of the nation."

      The Vincent T. Hirsch Maritime Award is named for a patron of the Merchant Marine and past National President of the Navy League. It is presented to an individual in private or public life whose efforts and/or achievements have contributed substantially to an increased public awareness of the vital role of a privately owned U.S.-flag merchant fleet, both to the United States defense establishment and to the nation's economic well-being.

      Much can be found on the internet for Mr. Crowley and Crowley Marine. Here are a few URLs from last January's post on the Haiti relief operation:

      Crowley Completes Cargo Lightering in Haiti
      http://marinelink.com/en-US/News/Article/333195.aspx

      Crowley Cargo Lightering Operation Successful Today in Port-au-Prince

      JACKSONVILLE, Fla.----Crowley Maritime Corporation, working under contract with the U.S. Transportation Command , successfully discharged 12 20-foot containers of relief supplies across a b...
      Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance, Fri Jan 22 14:29:00 PST 2010

      Comfort sees rare medical cases a week into mission
      Two patients are removed from a medical evaluation helicopter on the flight deck of the USNS Comfort, a Naval hospital ship anchored off Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
      Aspen Hill Gazette, Wed Jan 27 02:36:48 PST 2010 • Found on Yahoo! News

      Haiti-bound cargo ship at Fort Pierce being loaded with construction equipment, su...
      FORT PIERCE
      St. Lucie News Tribune, Mon Jan 25 08:25:00 PST 2010 • Found on Yahoo! News

      US ship saves lives, Haiti not ready for amputees
      Source: Reuters * Hospital ship Comfort treating hundreds of Haitians * Most cases of amputation due to infected wounds * Total amputees could be in the tens of thousands * Haiti has almost...

      Gates says U.S. sending port-clearing ship
      PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- The Pentagon will send a port-clearing ship to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, and evaluate other ways to help, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Wedne...
      UPI, Wed Jan 20 13:20:18 PST 2010 • Found on Yahoo! News
      AlertNet, Wed Jan 27 12:29:06 PST 2010 • Found on Yahoo! News