Re: Council News

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2010

      Ahoy All,

      Still away in Florida. Things went well at the National Convention on a variety of fronts.

      Gained a new council member - our second SIU vice president! Dean Corgey signed up on the spot - for three years!

      That's not all. SIU President Mike Sacco expressed an interest in our 20 December luncheon. In short, the Seafarers International Union will be a luncheon sponsor! We are most appreciative!

      I have more potentially good news - especially for our Arkansas Division Sea Cadets interested in a career at sea.

      Call me should you have any questions.

      Heave Ho!

      Dean Corgey is vice president of the Seafarers International Union's Gulf Coast Region.

      A lifelong resident of Houston, Corgey began his career with the SIU in 1973 after graduating from the entry training program for merchant mariners at the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education in Piney Point, Md.

      He later sailed as a chief engineer for G&H Towing Company and continued his vocational education at Piney Point, where he earned a chief engineer/limited ocean Coast Guard License.

      Corgey came ashore in 1979 and worked in Houston as an organizer for the SIU. He subsequently worked as a patrolman and, in 1986, became the SIU's Houston port agent. He became an assistant vice president in 1988 and vice president of the Gulf Coast Region in 1990.

      Corgey also serves as a vice president of the Texas AFL-CIO; as secretary-treasurer of the West Gulf Ports Council of the AFL-CIO Maritime Trades Department; and on the executive board of the Harris County AFL-CIO. He also served two terms on the Coast Guard's Towing Safety Advisory Committee. He currently serves as a member of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Area Maritime Security Committee for the Port of Houston/Galveston and as chairman of the City of Houston Ethics Committee. He is a member of the board of directors for the Houston Maritime Association.

      Corgey is married to Theresa Mangiameli Corgey. They have two sons and are active members of First Baptist Church.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2010

        Happy Halloween Everyone.

        Here is a good read for the occasion.

        Phelps  >:)