San Franicsco's 2010 Fleetweek- Big Event, Big Success!
- SAN FRANCISCO (Oct 6, 2010) -- USS Makin Island (LHD 8) passed under the Golden Gate Bridge as she arrives in San Francisco for Fleet Week. Makin Island is serving as the flagship for SFFW 2010, which features more than 3,000 Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. The five-day event showcases the equipment, technology and capabilities of the sea services while highlighting their history within the San Francisco area. The 847-foot, hybrid-powered amphibious assault ship had arrived Wednesday, October 6 and remained docked south of the Bay Bridge. Considerable information on its activities may be found at http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/lhd8/Pages/default.aspx.
The screaming sounds in the air were not San Francisco Giants fans, or the city's citizens indicating their approval of the city's approval of its America's Cup bid. It was the Navy's Flight Demonstration Team #1, the Blue Angels, returning for San Francisco's 2010 Fleetweek! They highlighted a spectacular air show over the city and the bay with a practice demonstration Friday, October 8, and full fledged demonstrations Saturday and Sunday, October 9 and 10.On the water the grandest Fleetweek flotilla in more than two decades entered San Francisco Bay at 10 a.m. Saturday, October 9th. For a list and some details on each see http://fleetweek.us/Ships.html. One of the vessels in the parade was the WWII era PT boat Liberty, http://hnsa.org/ships/ptf26.htm, skippered by Sacramento Council Navy Leaguer Captain Jim West and staffed with a female Sea Scout crew.The skipper, really Commanding General, of San Fancisco Fleetweek 2010 was Major General Mike Myatt, USMC (Ret.), http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avg&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_us&p=major%20general%20myatt. MGEN Myatt really can marshal diverse forces within the city and around the bay. He is a Navy Leaguer; the Marines' Memorial Club, http://www.marineclub.com, which he manages is a community affiliate member of the San Francisco Council.There is a lot on the internet about San Francisco Fleetweek 2010. Two articles worth reading are: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/12/DD511FR6GK.DTL&feed=rss.entertainment and http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/12/DD511FR6GK.DTLSFGate has others but start with those. For some additional reading take a look at the URLs below.A calendar of events may be found at http://www.fleetweek.us/Calendar.html. Not included were various social events; I represented the region at several.When the ships docked, Navy Leaguers, including myself, greeted them and presented each ship's commanding officer, executive officer and command master chief with information on the city and events scheduled for their crew.One big activity occured Sunday when the Oakland Council staged for the tenth time a BBQ picnic dockside for the visiting Sailors and Marines. "I think it is important for us to show our support to these men and women who are giving the people of the United States our safety and our security," said Lou Lozano, council president. "I want them to feel at home. This is our little way of saying thank you for what they do for us."Anchors Aweigh for San Francisco Fleetweek 2011PhelpsPhelps HobartSenior Vice PresidentPacific Central Region, NLUS
- 2010's Fleet Week in San Francisco is being billed as the biggest in 20 years. - News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of SFsanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/10/07/fleet-week-bigger... - Cached
- The USS Makin Island has been one of the most popular ships to visit during San Francisco Fleet Week.abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san... - Cached
- SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Blue Angels were roaring through the skies over San Francisco Thursday, warming up for Fleet Week performances this weekend. The Navy's ...abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san... - Cached
- San Francisco Fleet Week 2010, Directions, Schedules, Blue ... Your guide to San Francisco Fleet Week on the Web. http://www.chiff.com/articles/san-francisco-fleet-week.htm
Fleet Week San Francisco - Photos of Blue Angels Airshow at ... Photos of Fleet Week San Francisco and Blue Angels Airshow. The Blue Angels perform along with other aerobatic teams over San Francisco Bay during Fleet Week... http://sanfrancisco.about.com/od/holidaysspecialevents/ig/fleetweeksanfrancisco
Fleet Week flotilla roars into San Francisco Bay [Oct 9, 2010] You might mistake the screaming sounds in the air for Giants fans, or joy over the city's approval of its America's Cup bid, but it's Fleet Week... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/09/DDEI1FPT6M.DTL&tsp=1
The Liberty & Freedom Foundation Welcomes Fleet Week Back to ... Oct 8, 2010] SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Liberty & Freedom Foundation (LFF) is proud to welcome the United States Navy back to San Francisco from October 7-12 for Fleet Week 2010news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20101008/pl_usnw/DC79291 - Cached
- San Francisco Fleet Week. San Francisco Fleet Week is an annual family friendly celebration of the United States and Canadian Navys and their contribution to our country.sanfrancisco.lovetoknow.com/wiki/San_Francisco_Fleet_Week - Cached
- Fleet Week San Francisco Bay is brought to you by San Francisco Party Charters. Visit SFPartyCharters.com for more boating adventures in Northern Californiasanfranciscoblueangels.com/about.htm - Cached
- Attending San Francisco Fleet Week? Reserve your lodging at Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf for effortless access to this exciting San Francisco event.www.hifishermanswharf.com/area_events/fleet_week.php - Cached
- S.F. Bay Area California San Francisco, CA San Francisco Attractions Fleet Week San Francisco October 7-12, 2010 . Blue Angels Air Showwww.lovetoeatandtravel.com/Site/Sfbay/SF/Fun/fleet_week.htm - Cached
- Thanks for the correction Captain.Thanks for maintain Liberty, bringing her to San Francisco for the parade, and then docking her at Pier 45 between the submarine USS Pampanito and the liberty ship SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN for all to view.BRAVO ZULU to you and your female crew of Sea Scouts.Phelps_______________________In Vietnam these Patrol Torpedo Fast - PTF boats operated out of DaNang crewed by the South Vietnamese Navy and carried 12 man Vietnamese Army SEAL Teams.http://ptfnasty.com_______________________----- Original Message -----From: Jim WestTo: pmmc@...Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 1:18 AMSubject: RE: San Franicsco's 2010 Fleetweek- Big Event, Big Success!Please note the SF Examiner incorrectly called PTF-26, Liberty, a WWII patrol boat, she is a Vietnam War Fast Patrol Boat. The PTFs were Vietnam-era PTs that never were used as gunboats and never had the torpedos mounted.