Fw: R.A.I.S.E. The Standard: Navy League of the United States - Energy News & Awards FYI

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2010
      Once again the Navy League reaffirms it is on the right course. We as a council have been leaning "green" well before this announcement. Among other things we have encouraged green maritime corporations to come on board. This will be one more incentive!  I am confident Greenships, http://www.greenships.org, or its president/ceo Stas Margaronis will be aboard shortly. We courted Eco-Transport, set up to move containers between Oakland and other ports, but it folded.

      At the CALMITSAC meetings, we hear more and more about the industry desiring to cut exhaust emissions and the use of fossil fuels. California has taken the lead initiating cleaner air at our ports. The next CALMITSAC meeting moves from Sacramento to Port of San Francisco, 0930 Tuesday 9 November at the Ferry Building. You are welcome to observe. The full agenda remain a work in progress - I will pass it on in early November with a reminder of the meeting.

      Heave Ho - Think Green er, R.A.I.S.E.

      Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:34 AM
      Subject: R.A.I.S.E. The Standard: Navy League of the United States - Energy News & Awards FYI

      Navy League of the United States has taken the lead to R.A.I.S.E. The Standard (RAISE: Renewable, Alternative, Implementable Sustainable Energy) in support of Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus' initiative to eliminate dependence on carbon-based energy.

      Energy companies are invited to become a Navy League Corporate or Corporate Gold Member to join the battle against carbon-based energy dependence.

      Call or email today to learn more about how your company can Support & Serve our naval acquisition forces, and improve your companies information, access and energy promotion: Doug Crawford - DCrawford@... - 703-312-1596 - Navy League of the United States - Senior Director Corporate Development

      Military's Need Is Boon For Alternative-Fuel Firms

      A U.S. Navy official said Wednesday that there will be a huge market for companies that can develop low-cost renewable fuels as the military makes a headlong push into alternative energy for its ships, warplanes and other vehicles.

      If the military turns to algae-based biofuels to meet its needs, it could be a boon to Arizona, where a variety of companies admire the year-round growing season and hope to one day to produce fuel and other products from algae farms.

      "This really will be the off-ramp to petroleum," Rear Adm. Phillip Hart Cullom told about 600 people gathered at the Algae Biomass Summit in Phoenix.

      By 2020, the Navy has the goal of meeting half of its energy needs for ships and planes with renewable-energy sources. To meet that goal, it will need 8 million barrels of biofuel in 2020.

      "That represents a pretty formidable market for (business) people to go after," said Cullom, who serves as director of energy and environment for the Navy.

      Military branches are exploring a variety of alternative-energy sources, with algae fuels likely to be in the mix.

      Earlier this month, the Navy received a shipment of 20,000 gallons of algae-based ship fuel from San Francisco-based Solazyme Inc., which also has provided algae-based jet fuel to the Navy.

      Cullom declined Wednesday to say what the Navy was willing to pay per gallon of biofuel but said he expects it to cost more than traditional fossil fuels for some time.

      "We do see oil prices going up in the long term, and there will be a crossing-over point (when alternative fuels are cheaper)," Cullom said.

      The Navy announced a contract with Sustainable Oils of Seattle and Bozeman, Mont., earlier this year that provides some insight into the premium the Defense Department is willing to pay to support alternative-fuel development.

      According to the Navy announcement, the contract is for 40,000 gallons of fuel made from camelina, a plant related to mustard and cabbage. The deal's $2.7 million price works out to about $67.50 per gallon of fuel.

      Proponents say algae eventually will be the cheapest source of biofuel because it grows faster than regular plants, can grow year-round and doesn't need as many nutrients.

      The conference attendees represented a diverse group, from companies that develop pumps and systems to harvest algae to those that plan to grow algae for livestock feed, human food and biofuel, as well as researchers and investors from around the world.

      Cullom told audience members that the nation's future was in their hands as they work to develop alternative fuels that can reduce the military's expensive reliance on foreign oil.

      A major alarm was triggered in 2008 among U.S. Navy officials, who saw their annual fuel bill rise to $5.1 billion from $1.2 billion the year before as oil prices spiked.

      "That meant about $4 billion less of something else that you were not able to buy," he said.

      Like the other military branches, the Navy has extremely ambitious goals to increase the amount of renewable energy used to power its forces.

      Some of those military efforts are on display in Arizona, where Luke and Davis-Monthan Air Force bases are building some of the largest solar-power plants proposed in the state.

      The military will need fuels that can readily replace diesel and jet fuel used in vehicles and warplanes.

      Even though the Navy has contracts with Solazyme for algae fuel now, other companies see potential in the military's huge fuel demands.

      "Certainly there are opportunities with the demand (the Navy) creates," said Michael McCloud, business-development manager for Chandler-based Phyco Biosciences, which has an algae-growing facility in Casa Grande. "The carrot has been hung, so to speak."

      Phyco is focusing on growing algae for livestock and animal feed, with hope that it will be profitable enough eventually to shift to growing algae for fuel. But with such huge demand coming from the military, "there certainly are incentives in that area now," McCloud said.

      But researchers need to make significant strides in how algae is grown and processed if the military is to meet its energy goals, and experts from within the emerging industry still debate some of the most basic concepts in algae production.

      Some favor cultivating algae in fish-tank-like "bioreactors," while other companies favor growing it in open ponds. Experts also debate the best way to extract oil from algae, which strains are best for different products and whether they can be genetically modified to produce better food and fuel.

      Experts acknowledge their industry has significant developments to make before they compete with fossil fuels.

      "In 10 years, most of these companies will not exist," said Frank Mars, co-founder of Gilbert-based algae company Heliae Development. "But the technology will have evolved into something that will help the planet."

      U.S. Navy To Recognize Leaders In Energy, Water Efficiency

      U.S. Navy officials on Wednesday will honor two San Diego-based groups for their use of renewable energy and other environmental initiatives at an award ceremony in Washington, D.C..

      The local honorees are the Naval Base San Diego and the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific, which provides information-technology products and services to the Navy.

      The Secretary of the Navy Energy and Water Management Awards, an annual function, recognizes members of the Navy and Marine Corps for conserving natural resources, curbing greenhouse-gas emissions and reducing the country's dependence on fossil fuels.

      U.S. Navy Secretary Ray Mabus has expressed hopes that by 2020, half of the energy used by the Navy will come from alternative sources.

      Other honorees include the:

      ·         Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, Twenty-nine Palms, Calif.

      ·         Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, Parris Island, S.C.

      ·         Puget Sound Naval Shipyard & Intermediate Maintenance Facility, Bremerton, Wash.

      ·         USS Iwo Jima

      ·         USS Lake Champlain

      The ceremony, to be held at the U.S. Navy Memorial & Naval Heritage Center, will feature Robert O. Work, the Navy's undersecretary.

      J. Douglas Crawford

      NAVY LEAGUE OF THE UNITED STATES

      Senior Director Corporate Development

      2300 Wilson Blvd. Suite 200, Arlington, VA 22201

      (O) 703.312.1596   (M) 805.886.1133

      DCrawford@...