Have lunch with the Council and Members of the SIU Monday 20 September

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2010
    Ahoy All,

    Have you ever stepped inside a maritime union hall? I hadn't until I became president of this council. The Longshoremen's hall near San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf, once headquarters for history making union boss Harry Bridges is an eye-opener what with the graphic outline in yellow of a fallen worker outside the north entrance. The International Seafarers Union Hall isn't so startling but for sure it is for real. Lunch will be upstairs from the actual hiring hall with seafarers looking to go back to sea waiting around for the next hiring announcement - 1300. After the luncheon, if you are interested, one or two of our members will show you around and explain how our country's Jones Act ships are crewed.

    I will also be bringing a display board having to do with the council's recent "adoption" of the SS UNITED STATES, our nation's not so well kept cold war secret weapon high speed troop transport. Note we return to the council's first adopted ship, the National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN for our shipboard luncheon aboard her Monday, 20 December; mark your calendar.

    The Pacific Merchant Marine Council is devoted to the nation's maritime industry and trades in a big way - all involved with the movement of goods to and fro from our nation's ports. I like to say we are pro US shipping - US vessels, US owned, US built, and US crewed! It is this latter element that the council has been saluting all year long, "2010 Year of the Seafarer." We lifted it from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) as it is its theme for the year as well, see attached. This luncheon is a West Coast event having to do with 2010's International Maritime Day. This and National Maritime Day, May 22, are centerpieces of the council's activities.

    Anyway, this is probably too long a way to say come have lunch with us. For sure, the price is right. The location interesting. And the program... well, you will just have to see. If your guests should join the council, we will even comp the cost of their lunch. We will have two different luncheon tickets, blue for SIU members, Sea Cadets, and those who sent in a check to confirm their reservation; red for all others. If we run out for meals, well there is cake. And a meal ticket refund upon request.

    This council remains #1 for growth and membership retention within the Navy League's Pacific Central Region. We just brought aboard our 100th dues paying member - John Amos, Amos Logistics and President San Francisco Propeller Club. The Navy League has new membership recruiting theme soon to be rolled out - each member recruit a member. There will also be a NLUS contest for a nice prize for recruiters as we bring 2010 to a conclusion.

    It is not too early to start thinking about nominations of officers and directors for 2010. Nominations open 20 September and will close right before election and installation of officers and directors during our luncheon meeting 20 December.

    What are you doing for San Francisco Fleet Week 2010? The third attachment is a complementary dinner invitation Friday evening, 8 October, at the Marine Memorial Club. The dinner has been completely underwritten by two co-sponsors therefore the evening is purely informational and introductory to the good works of ThanksUSA. Wife Teddy and I will be enjoying the evening; we are staying in San Francisco for this and other activities ashore and afloat.

    The Sea Cadets have a fundraising drawing; several prizes including a cruise for two and air transportation. Details and tickets available at the luncheon.

    President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council
    The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered
    11 December 2006. It advocates for the US maritime
    industry. Luncheon meetings are the 3rd Monday in
    March, June, September, and December in the San
    Francisco Bay Area. New members welcomed!

    Navy League of the United States

    "Citizens in Support of the Sea Services"

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council

    In recognition of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) “2010: Year of the Seafarer” and World Maritime Day, San Francisco Bay Area members and friends are cordially invited to our luncheon, a celebratory tribute to our nation’s Seafarers:

    Date: Monday, 20 September 2010

    Time: Social 1130 ~ Lunch 1200

    Place: Seafarers International Union Hall, 1121 7th Street , Oakland

    Cost: $15 with advance reservation ~ $20 without

    Details:

    • Menu features assorted sandwiches, pizza, salads, chips, fresh fruit, a decorated cake and beverages.
    • Please promptly send reservation check payable to Phelps Hobart to PO Box 191403, Sacramento CA95819-1403.
    • Guests welcome. Complementary lunch for Sea Cadets and guests who join the Navy League and affiliate with the council.
    • Popular fund-raising “ Opportunity to Win” (50 - 50 drawing) to support the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN and the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets. Need not be present to win; 1 ticket $2, 3 tickets $5, 8 tickets $10, 20 tickets $20.
    • Donations always welcome – they help support the O’BRIEN and the Sea Cadets.
    • Donations – toys, checks, or cash – for the Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots 2010 drive also welcomed.
    • On street parking.
    • Council board meeting follows the luncheon.
    • Next luncheon 1130 Monday, 20 December, National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O’BRIEN, Pier 45.
    • Information: (916) 739-6949 or (916) 955-3972, PMMC@....