Re: California Capital Airshow September 11-12, 2010 Mather Airport

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2010
      The California Capitol Airshow was possibly one of the best. Only a return engagement by the Blue Angels could have improved it.
      An estimated 100,000 people visited the two day event. With more than 250 performers, 138 aircraft in the air and on the ground for close examination, and dozens of booths to visit, there was a lot for aviation fans to see and do.

      Awesome was the aerial performances of the Air Force F-22 Raptor - the fifth generation now out-of-production fighter jet known for its speed, agility, stealth and unmatched fighting capabilities. Up from NAS Lemoore was the Navy's almost as hot F-17. There were so many highlights but one very memorable was to see the F-22 in formation with four WWII P-38s. It was the first time I was in close proximity to the U-2 the cold war reconnaissance aircraft with its 103-foot wingspan from nearby Beale Air Force Base. It later made a flight demonstration.

      The Navy League shared a booth with the Sea Cadets adjacent to the Navy recruiters and their tricked out trailer. We had NLUS membership applications on available there as well. The newest Pacific Central Region Navy Leaguer is Neil Townsend, spouse of recruiter PO1 Cindy Townsend. She remembers our NLUS recruiter awards at their conference in Monterey and Reno.

      A good airshow article and fifteen photographs may be found at http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/36814/California_Capital_Airshow_2010.

      I observed flight demonstrations from near the flight line and elsewhere. The best spot for an unobstructed aerial view was in the shade of the tall tail of the B-52 from Travis. It cast a big shadow!

      Phelps

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...> wrote:

      California Capital Airshow
      http://www.californiacapitalairshow.com
      Event Information
      Bigger, faster, and louder than before, the California Capital Airshow roars into town September 11-12, 2010! Held at Mather Airport, conveniently located 10 miles from the heart of Downtown Sacramento, the 2 day event will amaze children and adults alike with entertainment in the air, on the ground and everywhere in between! Gates open at 9:00AM and close at 5:00PM each day of the event.