Re: In memory of the crew of USCG Rescue 1705

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2010
      Please visit the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento CG-1705 Memorial Website: http://www.rescue1705.com.

      Funds are still needed and greatly appreciated.
      ___________________________

      Reports on Coast Guard, Marine Corps aircraft collision released

      Eleventh Coast Guard District
      U.S. Coast Guard
      Date: August 24, 2010 12

      http://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/823/881303

      J O I N T N E W S R E L E A S E

      U.S. Coast Guard
      11th District: Lt. Cmdr. Rick Foster
      510-557-7104 or 510-437-3325

      U.S. Marine Corps
      3rd Marine Air Wing: Maj. Manuel Delarosa
      858-577-6000

      U.S. Navy
      Commander, Naval Air Forces: Cmdr. Pauline Storum
      619-767-1625

      ALAMEDA, Calif. – The U.S. Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy today released the results of their command investigations into the October 2009 collision of a Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules aircraft and a Marine AH-1W Cobra helicopter off the coast of Southern California. All seven Coast Guard aircrew members and both Marine Corps aviators were killed in the crash.

      All the investigations concluded that no single factor, person or unit caused the mishap, but that it was a tragic confluence of events. The three command investigations also concluded there was no misconduct on the part of any Coast Guard, Marine Corps or Navy personnel, and all three made recommendations for improving procedures, training and aviation safety.

      "We are using what we found in these investigations to improve aviation safety," said Rear Adm. Joseph Castillo, Commander of the 11th Coast Guard District. "We are committed to preventing a recurrence of this terrible tragedy. We owe nothing less to the memories of the dedicated men and woman lost in the crash, their families, their shipmates, and the public," he said.

      Military officials did not wait for the investigations to be completed to begin safety improvements. Immediately after the accident the services began reviewing policies and procedures and have already implemented many of the recommendations in the reports.

      Castillo noted that aviators and technical experts from all three branches of the naval aviation community brought their own unique expertise, experience, and perspectives to the investigations. "The range of opinions and recommendations strengthens our common effort of improving aviation safety," he said. "The services have worked closely throughout the investigations and will continue to do so as we implement changes."

      The Coast Guard plane, based in Sacramento, Calif., was conducting a search and rescue mission and the Marine helicopter, based at Camp Pendleton, was involved in training when the two aircraft collided. Both aircraft were operating in a training area monitored by a Navy air traffic control center in San Diego.

      ###

      The Coast Guard report is available at:
      http://www.uscg.mil/foia/reading-room.asp

      To obtain a copy of the Marine investigation submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) form to the Joint Law Center at Marine Corps Air Station, Miramar. A copy of the FOIA form is available on the web at:
      http://www.miramar.usmc.mil/jlc/AAWebsite/Civil%20Law%20Website/Links/FOIA%20Request%20Form.doc

      The Navy report is available at:
      http://www.cpf.navy.mil/foia_rr.shtml

      ###

      Saving Lives and Guarding the Coast Since 1790.
      The United States Coast Guard -- Proud History. Powerful Future.

      ____________________________________

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council" <pmmc@...> wrote:

      Ahoy Members and Friends,

      On behalf of the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Saturday I ordered two bricks, $60 each, inscribed, three lines on each:

      SEMPER PARATUS
      NAVY LEAGUE
      OF THE
      UNITED STATES
      PACIFIC MERCHANT
      MARINE COUNCIL

      If you would like to contribute please send a check to:

      Phelps Hobart
      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403

      As a thank you gift to the donor with the most generous check, I have an attractive collector item 5" CG-1705 jacket patch. Funds contributed up to $120 will be placed in our council treasury; any above that to the Sacramento CG-1705 Memorial.

      You may desire to make a personal contribution; every bit is appreciated. Please visit http://www.rescue1705.com, the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento CG-1705 Memorial website.

      IN MEMORY OF THE CREW OF USCG RESCUE 1705

      On the evening of October 29, 2009 Coast Guard HC-130 Rescue aircraft 1705 was conducting a search for a missing boater off San Clemente Island, California. At the same time a flight of four Marine Corps helicopters from Camp Pendleton were on a training mission in the area. Coast Guard Rescue 1705 arrived on scene at 4:45 p.m. At 7:10 p.m. all communications with the 1705 were lost. They were involved in a mid-air collision with a Marine Corps AH-1 Cobra helicopter. An extensive search involving more than 20 Coast Guard, Navy and other agency air and surface assets was conducted covering more than 644 square miles. No survivors were found.

      Seven Coast Guard crewmembers and two Marine Corp pilots were lost in this tragedy.

      Lieutenant Commander Che J. Barnes......................... Aircraft Commander
      Lieutenant Adam W. Bryant........................................ Co-Pilot
      Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman........................... Flight Engineer
      Petty Officer 2nd Class Carl P. Grigonis.................... Navigator
      Petty Officer 2nd Class Monica L. Beacham.............. Radio Operator
      Petty Officer 2nd Class Jason S. Moletzsky............... Air Crewman
      Petty Officer 3rd Class Danny R. Kreder II................ Drop Master
      Major Samuel Leigh.................................................. Helicopter Pilot
      First Lieutenant Thomas Claiborne........................... Helicopter Pilot

      This event highlights the risks Guardians accept every day to ensure the Nation's safety and security. This website is dedicated to the crew of CG Rescue 1705.

      "The crew of Coast Guard Rescue 1705 embodied a sense of purpose and spirit of public service that defines the U.S. Coast Guard itself. They were our shipmates, and an integral part of us. That part of us is gone, but their spirit and willingness to put themselves in harm's way for others lives on with us, and inspires us."

      -- Rear Adm. Joseph Castillo, Commander 11th Coast Guard District, 6 Nov. 2009