Fw: The SS Jeremiah O'Brien needs a favor from you

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2010

      Members and Friends,

      Letters and E-mails in support greatly appreciated.

      Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 3:10 PM
      Subject: The SS Jeremiah O'Brien needs a favor from you

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      Help us reach our government leaders!
      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)

      Dear Friends,

      The SS Jeremiah O'Brien has some financial worries and needs your help. As part of our strategy for obtaining the $1.1 million needed for the hull plate replacement, we have requested Senator Dianne Feinstein earmark $1.1 million for the SS Jeremiah O'Brien in the Department of the Interior's 2011 appropriations bill.

      She is right now putting together her appropriations bill.  We want to give her a "push" to put in the earmark for us.

      As part of that push, could you write a letter to Senator Feinstein (or email, or both) asking her to help the JEREMIAH O'BRIEN when she is preparing her 2011 Federal budget requests?  Tell her anything would help, and the ship would welcome a matching gift.

      Our recent pitch to her was (not in any order) that:

      The SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is a national historic landmark that deserves to be saved.

      The JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is a Homeland Security/homeland disaster asset.

      The JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is a living, historical museum ship dedicated to keeping alive not only the memory of the men and women who built, sailed and died on these ships during World War II, but also keeping alive the history of the time when the plentiful jobs in American flag ship building launched the Great Migration of primarily African-Americans from the rural South to the maritime cities of the North, plus opened the job market for women.  And that history explains in great part why California is wonderfully diverse.

      The hull plate restoration will save at least 50 jobs, to say nothing of the subcontractor jobs created.

      The JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, as a living, historical museum, is used as an educational platform for elementary, middle, and high school students.

      If you email Senator Feinstein, use this link and follow the instructions.
      http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ContactUs.Emailme

      And/Or via United States Postal Service, send to both of these offices:

      Senator Dianne Feinstein
      United States Senate
      331 Hart Senate Office Building
      Washington, D.C. 20510

      Senator Dianne Feinstein
      One Post Street, Suite 2450
      San Francisco, CA 94104
      Phone: (415) 393-0707
      Fax: (415) 393-0710

      You can send the same type of letter to Nancy Pelosi, current Speaker of the House and local congresswoman for San Francisco.

      Congresswoman Pelosi's mailing address is

      90 7th Street, Suite 2-800
      San Francisco, CA  94103

      Phone: (415) 556-4862

      Her email can be found by clicking on this link:
      http://www.house.gov/pelosi/contact/contact.html

      Use the SS Jeremiah O'Brien office address if you live outside of the City.
      1275 Columbus Ave, Ste 300
      San Francisco, CA 94133.

      Have your family, friends, relatives, business associates and union members write to Feinstein and Pelosi, too!

      Let's flood their mailboxes ... so much so that they can't deny us.  Please try to send your letter by the end of the month.

      Thank you for helping to save the SS Jeremiah O'Brien for future generations.

      Dennis Koller
      Executive Director

      The National Liberty Ship Memorial
      1275 Columbus Ave, Suite 300
      San Francisco, CA  94133

      www.ssjeremiahobrien.org
      (415) 544-0100
      dkoller@...

      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)

      spacer (1K)spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      spacer (1K)
      © 2010 The National Liberty Ship Memorial
      This email was sent by The National Liberty Ship Memorial, 1275 Columbus Avenue, Suite 300, San Francisco, CA 94133, using Express Email Marketing. You subscribed to this permission-based list on 9/17/2009.