World Maritime Day theme "2010:Year of the Seafarer"

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2010
    Dan,

    You are to be commended for the support you have given to our fourth sea service - the US flag Merchant Marine. We in the Pacific Merchant Marine Council appreciate it every time you mention it.

    The Navy League has a unique opportunity to say something about those who go to sea as officers and crew members on the myriad of civilian ocean going vessels as well our nation's waterways. The International Maritime Organization (IMO), an extension of the United Nations, has labored for years to improve their situation worldwide. We in the United States have improved their working conditions and safety for over a century. Whether it be the Jones Act and other regulations or the enforcement of the Coast Guard and others, conditions aboard US flag vessels are among the best in the world.

    The IMO has designated 2010 as the "Year of the Seafarer." The Pacific Merchant Marine Council picked up on this theme and is running with it throughout the year.

    In March we sponsored a mini-fundraiser for the Oakland California International Maritime Center which under various names has been caring for seafarers in the San Francisco Bay area since the 1850s. May 22 we sponsored an event at Sacramento's Merchant Marine Monument honoring our seafarers past, present and future. Last week, at my suggestion a California state advisory council approved a statement commending our seafarers. I have spoken with a key California Assembly member about issuing a legislative resolution. Next month on the 20th the council is hosting a luncheon in honor of our nation's seafarers at the Seafarers International Union Hall in Oakland. We are in communications with other San Francisco Bay area maritime organizations to do more on a joint venture basis. Further ahead is San Francisco Fleet Week in October - it will have a merchant marine element with our adopted National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN participating in the parade of ships with hundreds aboard Saturday and Sunday's cruises.

    A lot can be found in the internet on World Maritime Day and its 2010 theme "Year of the Seafarer."

    Though the National Maritime Academy and the various state academies prepare officers for a career at sea, for various reasons far too few are accepting the challenge. The United States' limited number of crew training schools also are not producing enough qualified seafarers to replace the aging populous currently serving. Other nation's are graduating many more trained and willing to go to sea.

    Would you approve the Navy League also recognizing the occasion? Among the attachments is the latest statement of the IMO's Secretary-General on the subject. Possibly a NLUS media release. Maybe something in your next presidential statement.

    Thanks. Anything would be gratifying.

    President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council
    Senior Vice President, Pacific Central Region
    Vice President, Pacific Southwest Region
    National Director
    Navy League of the United States
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCR-NLUS
    http://www.navyleague.org
    PO Box 191403
    Sacramento CA 95819-1403
    (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 | PMMC at cwo dot com
    The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered
    11 December 2006. It advocates for the US maritime
    industry. Luncheon meetings are the 3rd Monday in
    March, June, September, and December in the San
    Francisco Bay Area. New members welcomed!