Re: [PMMC-NLUS] MARAD Ship Leaves Suisun Bay Fleet for Scrapping

  • capt.ob@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2010
      The ship shown in the photo is a Victory ship(VC-2), for those of you who are not familiar with them. It is a 6,000 H.P. ship....some were 8,500H.P..The Navy took many of these Maritime ships and made use of them as Ammo ships (AE) Attack Cargo ships (AKA) and amphious troop ships (APA) during and after WW II.   I believe the Maritime Commission built some 567 of this type,outnumbered by the Liberty(EC-2)  some  2,700,  and the T-2 tanker. I sailed in 3 Victory ships in my career....AB, Dayman, and Bos'n....
      Captain K.C.O'Brien, retired

    • nobhill2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2010
        I SAILED ON APA 127, USS ALLENDALE, A CHIEF ENGINEER. 8500 H.P. IT WAS MODIFIED TO DO LANDINGS.   WE DID VARIOUS LANDINGS IN THE PACFIC. DID NOT GET PICTURE OF SHIP.

        ADMIRAL JOHN BROOKS

        USS Allendale (APA-127) was a Haskell-class attack transport. She was of the VC2-S-AP5 Victory ship design type. For photos and more on this ship see: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdCclMWtMHWEAnmRXNyoA?ei=UTF-8&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_us&fr=yhs-avg&p=uss+allendale&SpellState=&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top.