Pacific Centrail Region Meeting Friday and Saturday, August 6 and 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27 8:59 PM
    Ahoy All,

    The Coast Guard Awards Luncheon Friday, 6 August, you already know is a special event. Much goes into it to make it very worthwhile attending.

    Then there is the Pacific Central Region Nominating Committee meeting afterwards. A lot will be going on there as well - the more nominees the better. See the 2010 Nominating Package attached and pass it on to someone you believe would be a good National Director.

    Saturday morning through lunch on board the USCGC WAESCHE (WMSL 751) promises to be informative.

    This is the perfect opportunity to introduce new council board members to the League outside the immediate council circle of associates.

    Anchors Aweigh,

    Senior Vice President
    Pacific Central Region, NLUS

    From: Vargas-Hicks, Dianna dvargas-hicks@...
    Date: Tuesday, April 13, 2010
    Subject: Navy League 2010 Nominations

    *All Area Presidents, Council Presidents and National Directors:

    Please find attached the 2010 Nominating Package for submission of nominations for 2010-2011 Officers and Directors.  The information provided is as follows:

    Memo to Council Presidents, Area Presidents and National Directors – Nominating Committee
    Memo to Region Presidents – Nominating Committee
    Nominating Procedures
    Regional Nominating Committee Requirements
    Background Information on Allocation of National Directors by Region
    Allocation of National Directors by Region
    Tenure of Office
    Nominations Submission Form – Regional Nominating Committee
    Nominations Submission Form – Council Presidents, Area Presidents and National Directors
    Candidate Information Profile
    Membership Report – March 2010 (pdf attachment)
    Procedures for Appointment of National Directors Emeritus

    Please note that the deadline for notifying Headquarters that Regional Nominating Committees have been appointed is June 1, and the deadline for submission of all nominations to Headquarters is August 3.

    If you require a hard copy of this material by regular mail, please let us know and we will be happy to provide one.

    *If you are not currently serving as an Area or Council President, please forward this to the appropriate person.

    Thank you,

    Dianna Vargas-Hicks
    Manager, Administrative Services
    Navy League of the United States
    Dvargas-hicks@...

    ______________________________________

    http://www.navyleague.org/councils/Operations-Manual-Aug09.pdf

    Navy League Operations Manual

    Pages 49 - 51

    4. Elections of National Directors, National Officers, and Region and Area Presidents shall be in accordance with the National Bylaws, reviewed in brief below:
    a) National Directors are to be elected at the Annual Meeting of Members by a majority of those voting in person, or by proxy, for one‐year terms or until their successors are elected.
    b) All National Officers are to be elected by the Board of Directors, by a majority vote of those directors in person voting, for one‐year terms or until their successors are elected. The quorum for the election of National Officers is one‐fourth (1/4) of the total number of Directors.
    c) Members of the Steering Committee, Region Presidents, and Area Presidents may not serve concurrently as Council President. Council Presidents may serve as National Directors.

    B. REGIONAL NOMINATING COMMITTEE REQUIREMENTS
    1. Regional Nominating Procedures As no guidelines exist in the National Bylaws for the establishment of, and procedures for, a Regional Nominating
    Committee, the Executive Committee has approved the following requirements for implementation by Region Presidents:
    2. Requirements for both the Region President and Regional Nominating Committee: These are the national guidelines for the establishment of, and procedures for, a Regional Nominating Committee. The Region President shall do the following:
    (1) Appoint a Regional Nominating Committee Chair who should be an experienced Navy League member, and also appoint other members of the committee. The Region President may not chair or serve as a member of the Regional Nominating Committee.
    (2) Members of the Regional Nominating Committee shall be limited to three consecutive terms.
    (3) Committee membership must, if practicable, consist of the President or his/her designee from at least a majority of the total number of active Councils in the Region. The Area Presidents or his/her designees may also be named; only those present at a called meeting shall be eligible to vote (i.e. no absentee ballots).
    “Presence” at a meeting may be approved at the discretion of the Chair by use of a conference telephone call in order to allow members who cannot attend in person to participate. A quorum for a committee meeting is a majority of the members.
    (4) Processing procedures shall include provisions for candidates for Region President, Area Presidents, and National Directors to be personally interviewed by the committee. Interviews may be conducted by conference call when requested by the nominee and approved by the Chair.
    (5) Send the names, titles and addresses of the Regional Nominating Committee members to the National Nominating Committee Chairperson and to the Area Presidents, Council Presidents and Region Directors, no later than the annual deadline announced by the Chairperson of the National Nominating Committee.
    (6) Substantially comply with the intent of this guideline that the Regional Nominating Committee membership represents a cross‐section of the regional leadership and is geographically balanced.
    (7) The Regional Nominating Committee will compare the number of Navy League members in the Area/Council to the “agic number”(the number of members required for one national directorship) and give this consideration in order to ensure fair national leadership representation.
    (8) No nomination for re‐election as Director shall be made for any person failing to satisfy the requirements of the following provision in the Navy League Bylaws for termination of National Directors for failure to attend national meetings: (Section 5.10) “xcept as otherwise provided for in these Bylaws, any elected National Director who shall, without filing a written statement of good cause to the National President prior to the meeting, fail to attend two (2) consecutive national meetings, is subject to termination of office, upon notice of the fact of this failure having been received by the National President. The National President will make
    the determination as to whether the absence is excused or unexcused, and the National Director will be notified.”
    (9) It will be the duty of the Regional Nominating Committee Chairman to notify any incumbent officer holder in the region who is not being re‐nominated.
    (10) All nominations for offices are considered with the understanding that the nominee has consented to the nomination and will serve if elected.
    (11) Circulate, in a timely manner prior to submission, to the Area Presidents, Council Presidents, and National Directors of that region, the slate of persons that will be sent to the National Nominating Committee. Such circulation shall be accomplished prior to the slate being submitted to the National Nominating Committee and in sufficient time to permit any objections to be forwarded to, and considered by, the Region President.
    (12) Certify, in writing, to the Chairperson of the National Nominating Committee, compliance with the provision of #11.