Fw: FuturePorts News: Happy 4th! Plus Conference update/ Membership Meetings/ New Members

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      FuturePorts is there where it counts. Timely events and important programs. BRAVO ZULU to Elizabeth Warren, a dynamo of an Executive Director.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council is on course to establish a mutually beneficial relationship akin to our membership in the San Francisco Marine Exchange.

      Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 8:46 AM
      Subject: FuturePorts News: Happy 4th! Plus Conference update/ Membership Meetings/ New Members

      FuturePorts Update

      FuturePorts wishes all of our members, partners, and friends
      a happy and safe Independence Day Holiday !

      Clearing the AirFuturePorts Conference Update

      FuturePorts wants to thank all of our sponsors, speakers, and attendees for making our conference, "Clearing the Air: Building Our Future Begins Now," a great success.  We also want to thank our many volunteers for their help in keeping things running smoothly all day!

      The morning started with a welcome kick off by Los Angeles City Council Member Janice Hahn of the 15th Council District, and a presentation by Breakfast Sponsor, the Port of Los Angeles Harbor Commissioner Kaylynn Kim . The morning sessions followed with an eye-opening overview of the Ports by Dr. John Husing. The featured speakers and panelists that followed also did a fantastic job of providing updates on the economic situation in the San Pedro Bay Ports and how it is affecting their industries, as well as information on environmental progress being made and status updates on project EIRs.

      Clearing the AirThe luncheon program featured comments by Luncheon Sponsor Port of Long Beach, represented by Chris Lytle, Deputy Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer.  The afternoon's keynote speaker, Hasan Ikhrata, Executive Director of the Southern California Association of Governments, featured an overview of the Southern California National Freight Gateway Collaboration, a statewide effort by major stakeholder agencies addressing goods movement issues in Southern California .

      Presentations from all of the speakers are posted on the FuturePorts website and are available for download at www.futureports.org.

      The conference was also featured in the June 28 issue of The Cunningham Report.
      Recovery Comes To Ports, Market Share Theirs To Lose
      06/28/2010

      The mood at the FuturePorts "Clearing the Air" event Tuesday in San Pedro was relatively upbeat with speakers noting the bounce back of container traffic coming through the Port of Los Angeles and Port of Long Beach , but warning that competition for future cargo will be intense. read more

      General Membership Meeting Updates

      At the April 12 General Membership meeting, Steve Faichney, Director of Public and Government Affairs for Valero, gave an informative presentation on AB 32 and the Federal Cap and Trade Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009.  The presentation, titled "Challenges and Risks to Providing Adequate, Reliable, Affordable Energy and the unintended consequences of Climate Change regulation," is posted on FuturePort website - click here to download the presentation.

      Douglas ThiessenThe June 14 meeting featured two important presentations on issues facing both the Port of Long Beach and the Port of Los Angeles .  Douglas Thiessen, P.E., Managing Director Engineering at the Port of Long Beach , gave us an informational presentation at our request, regarding the engineering and technical aspects of the Long Beach Breakwater.  The presentation reminded us of the key benefits of having the Port of Long Beach in our backyard - the economic engine that supports 316,000 regional jobs and $120 Billion in global trade. FuturePorts submitted a letter to the Army Corps of Engineers and testified at the Long Beach City Council on June 22, urging the City Council not to spend $4 million on a feasibility study to alter the Long Beach Breakwater. The letter is posted on our website - click here to download the letter

      Wendy GreuelWe were also honored to have City of Los Angeles Controller Wendy Greuel as a guest speaker at the June meeting.  The Controller gave an overview of her responsibilities at the City, and what her office is doing to recover millions of dollars of outstanding revenue.  Her audits of city departments revealed many practices that cost the City’s residents millions in taxpayer dollars.

      FUTUREPORTS WELCOMES NEWEST MEMBERS:

      SILVER LEVEL

      Ability Tri-ModalWELCOME ABILITY TRI-MODAL TRANSPORTATION SERVICES

      Thank you to Joshua Owen, President, for their support!  Visit their website at www.trimodal.com.

      BRONZE LEVEL

      We'd also like to thank our Bronze level members:

      HDR Engineering, Inc.  www.hdrinc.com
      Thank you to Thomas Kim, Senior Vice President, for their support!

      P2S Engineering, Inc.  www.p2seng.com
      Thank you to Jesse Urquidi, Business Development, for their support!

      FuturePorts at Work Representing its Members

      FuturePorts works hard all year representing our members' interests to elected officials at the local, state and federal level.  Listed below are just a few of the recent highlights where FuturePorts participated in local events:

      • Several stakeholder meetings with US EPA regarding Health Impact Assessments (HIA) and submitted comment letter
      • Testified in support of Gerald Desmond Bridge Final EIR
      • Attended US DOT Transportation Outreach Meeting with Secretary Ray LaHood
      • Exhibited twice at the Port of Long Beach "Let’s Talk Port" community forums
      • Hosted Clean Air Action Plan briefing for FuturePorts' Members
      • Met with staff from offices of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa , Mayor Bob Foster , and multiple City Council members in Long Beach and Los Angeles
      • Multiple meetings with executive and senior staff from Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles
      • Participant on calls with staff from Congress Members Jane Harman and Javier Becerra's offices
      • Met with Congress Member Laura Richardson
      • Testified at Long Beach City Council and submitted comment letter on Long Beach Breakwater
      • Speaker at statewide conferences for the Society for Marketing of Professional Services (SMPS) and the California Foundation on the Environment and the Economy (CFEE)
      • Exhibitor at the International Trade and Education Program (ITEP) annual dinner and at the California Maritime Leadership Symposium

      FUTUREPORTS PLATINUM MEMBERS
      BNSF Railway, Herzog, Keesal Young & Logan, Manatt, Southern California Edison, Union Pacific, URS

      FUTUREPORTS GOLD MEMBERS
      Connolly-Pacific Co, The Dutra Group, Jacobsen Pilot Service, Plains All American, Utility Vault, Reyes Construction Inc

      FuturePorts
      Berth 77, P 7-A, Ports O' Call, San Pedro , CA 90731
      office phone 310.982.1323 fax 877.309.1323

      Elizabeth Warren
      Executive Director
      FuturePorts

      ewarren@...

      This email was sent  by ewarren@...  | Read our Privacy Policy.
      To remove your name from our mailing list, please reply to this email with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject.

      FuturePorts, Berth 77 P7-A Ports O' Call, San Pedro CA 90731 , United States