Fw: National President's Message - June 30, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2010
      Navy League President's Message

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:24 AM
      Subject: National President's Message - June 30, 2010

       If you have trouble viewing this email, click here.
                                                                                                                               June 30, 2010
      Dear Fellow Navy Leaguers,

      Earlier this month, many of our Navy League leaders and I attended the Naval War College Current Strategy Forum in Newport, RI.  This was the 61st annual forum, which started in 1949 as an opportunity for public servants, scholars, and senior military officers to discuss future strategy of the United States with faculty and students.  Over time, the forum has expanded to include participation by a cross section of America's civilian leadership.  The two-day event features keynote speakers and scholarly panel discussions.  The theme this year was United States Foreign Policy in the Emerging Global Order, Strategic Leadership Opportunities for the U.S., and the Role of the Maritime Services in Supporting the Nation's Key Objectives.

      Following that meeting, in mid-June, I spoke at the MOAA meeting in Boulder, CO, and gave the Navy League Community Service Outreach Project (CSOP) presentation. The audience was quite enthusiastic, and I also covered writing letters to Congress on Coast Guard funding for 2011. Most did not know that the fleet size has declined so dramatically since the cold war.  I told them the CNO routinely says in his speeches that the fleet is now the size it was in 1916. I also spoke at the Naval Academy Parent's Club of Colorado meeting, where four members signed up on the spot for Navy League membership.  My challenge to our leaders remains as I mentioned at the Board meeting, we need to do 500 CSOP presentations a year to make a dent in getting out the word and educating the public.  We also need to triple our Grass Roots Legislative Affairs presentations to Congress.

      In the middle of June, I had the pleasure of taking a cruise on the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. where I joined heads of organizations much like the Navy League that regularly support the U.S. Navy such as the USO and the Navy and Marine Corps Relief Society. Our host during the cruise was the Honorable Robert O. Work, Under Secretary of the Navy.

      On June 19, I attended the 30th anniversary dinner of the Camden-Kings Bay Council in Kings Bay, GA, and following that a Navy change of command and retirement ceremony in Mayport, FL. More than 100 attended the dinner dance including many community and local military leaders.  Congratulations on your 30th Camden-Kings Bay.

      Navy Safe Harbor Anchor Program

      The Philadelphia Council has done an excellent job supporting our service members in need. The Council was the first to serve as a Senior Mentor and provide support and care to sailor HM2 McClosky, who was among the first participants in the collaborative Anchor Program, a partnership between Navy Safe Harbor Command and community-based organizations like the Navy League and Navy Reserve.

      Navy Safe Harbor is the command responsible for providing life-long care to seriously wounded sailors, both Navy and Coast Guard (these are service members who will not return to active duty).  The Navy League has committed to locate Senior Mentors to assist these individuals in re-adjusting to civilian life.  Navy Safe Harbor provides a Care Manager (for medical care) and a Peer Mentor (another sailor who is similar in age and experience to the wounded sailor).  Senior Mentors can be a Council or individual who will assist the returning sailor. To date, the Navy League has ten sailors in the program, and the Philadelphia Council was the first get involved in this very important effort.  Please learn more—and become one of the nine unassigned Senior Mentors-- by reviewing our Anchor Program Mentoring Guide.

      Capitol Hill

      On June 17, the Navy League co-hosted a Navy/Marine Corps Caucus Breakfast with the offices Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.) and Rep. Susan Davis (D-Ca.) The keynote speaker, the Honorable Robert O. Work, Undersecretary of the Navy, spoke for nearly an hour on a range of current Navy priorities. More than 55 guests attended, including eight Members of Congress, among them  Representatives Forbes, Davis, Rob Wittman (R-Va.), Charles Djou (R-Hi.), Madeleine Bordallo (D-GU), Glenn Nye (D-Va.), and Ander Crenshaw (R-Fl.). Other attendees included Congressional and Committee staffers, as well as a handful of Navy Leaguers, including Sheila McNeill, and National Capitol Area Council members Larry Lynott, Bob Sutton, John Tozzi, and Dale Lumme. It was the first time in more than two years that the Navy/Marine Corps Caucus had staged the event, and Forbes and Davis, co-chairs of the Caucus, expressed their gratitude to the Navy League for helping making the gathering possible. The breakfast was held in the South Congressional Meeting room at the Capitol Visitors Center.

      Board of Directors Meeting Highlights

      I would like to thank everyone who attended the June Board meeting earlier this month. It was a productive gathering, and we had a wonderful turnout of honored guests and keynote speakers, including the newly-installed U.S. Coast Guard Commandant, Adm. Robert J. Papp. The Commandant addressed an audience of more than 200 at our Board meeting dinner, where he told Navy League members that the Coast Guard is very concerned about its aging fleet and said the need for new ships is paramount. This issue is being taken up here in Washington right now, as there are proposed funding decreases for the Coast Guard in the FY 2011 budget—and the Navy League has been vocal on Capitol Hill about not allowing these reductions to stand.  Please write or contact your representatives and two senators and let them know how valuable the Coast Guard is to the nation’s safety and security. Contact me if you have any questions about this effort.

      At the June Board of Directors meeting in Arlington, Virginia, I briefed the attendees on my goals and objectives for the next five years. These have been developed based on my review of our overall situation in the Navy League, particularly in the areas of membership and fundraising where we have a serious need for improvement as I have noted many times recently.  The summary of Navy League goals and objectives for 2010 to 2015 are:

                  •Increase our investment portfolio to the $15 M to $25 M or more range through
                   fundraising.
                  •Increase NLUS overall revenue by 15-20% or more annually
                  •Membership to grow by 12,000 or more and councils to improve retention to over
                   90%
                  •Increase the number of Corporate Sponsors by 5-10% or more annually
                  •Planned Giving to increase considerably over the period
                  •Donors making contributions to increase significantly
                  •Grants to the Navy League to increase considerably
                  •Increase the size of the staff as appropriate to mission requirements as revenue
                   increases
                  •NLUS advertising by staff and councils to grow significantly to improve branding
                  •Press Releases, Letters to Editor, Op-Ed pieces up considerably starting
                   Summer 2010
                  •CSOP presentations to reach 500 annually with a significant increase over 2010 for
                    2011
                  •Grass Roots Legislative Affairs presentations to Congress to triple
                  •Partnering opportunities with like-minded organizations to be expanded
                   significantly by Councils and Regions (Propeller Club Assoc. of Naval Aviation,
                   Service Academics Alumni Assoc., etc...)
                  •President's Circle grow to 1000 with 100 achieved by the end of 2010 and with 150
                   achieved before 2012
                  •Achieve Congressional funding for the Sea Cadets

      HEADQUARTERS NEWS

      We are engaged in a web site re-design, and the effort is being led by Daisy Khalifa and Sal Chairez. The new web site design will have some pronounced changes, but Sal and Daisy want members to be assured that the “back-end” content, especially in Council Resources, and the Online Community will not change.  In conjunction with the web site changes, we are going to introduce new procedures for submitting news for Councils and individuals so that your photos, activities and past and future events are featured more prominently and in a more timely fashion. Please stay tuned for details on the web site and Council news front from headquarters staff.

      PRESIDENTS CIRCLE

      Please help us continue to expand our President’s Circle. We have seen a steady increase in President’s Circle donors during 2010, building now to more than sixty donors “Standing In The Circle”. Members making an annual donation of $1,000 or more will receive invitations to meet and socialize with other donors at several special events each year, including all ship commissionings. Members of the Navy League’s Commodore Club are “grandfathered” as members of the President’s Circle. If you have any questions, or if you can help Navy League identify prospective donors and corporate sponsors please contact Doug Crawford at dcrawford@....

      MEMBERSHIP

      We have some positive news from the Central Florida Region: Central Florida area is leading the state in percentage growth and above average retention.  A special acknowledgement goes to the Tampa Council as their number growth for the year is 30 and growing, and leading the state in net increase.  Also, the Broward Council, in second place at 18, is to be commended.

      I specifically request the assistance of all members and all of our Region, Area, and Council Presidents to improve our membership situation.  As I have noted many times before, we are poised to grow and we do need a special effort to achieve adequate growth.  It helps with our ability to influence, and of course the revenue is important.  If all individuals and Councils will market the Navy League, we can grow significantly.  I think we can meet my goal above if each Council will find just 30 additional members annually over the next couple of years, and make a significant improvement in retention.   Please see what you can do to increase membership and make a special push to improve retention.

      2010 NATIONAL CONVENTION NEWS

      Please plan on attending the Navy League National Convention this year in Jacksonville, FL, from Oct. 20-24, 2010.

      We are planning an outstanding event with a number of special guest speakers, flag officers and policy experts. We also have some wonderful local activities in store!  The official convention web site will be online at www.navyleague.org by mid-July, where you will be able to view the roster of meetings, activities and download a registration form with pricing for all of the events.  In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Aubrey Collier at acollier@....

      UPCOMING EVENTS

      USS Missouri Commissioning                                            July 31, 2010
      USS Jason Dunham (DDG-109)                                        November 13, 2010

      National Convention, Jacksonville , FL                             Oct. 20-24, 2010

      Sea-Air-Space Exposition 2011                                          April 11-13, 2011

      Board of Directors Meeting,  Washington, D.C.                June 2011

      National Convention, Chattanooga, TN                             October 2011

      National Convention, Honolulu, HI                                     June 2012

      National Convention, Long Beach, CA                              June 2013

      You are what makes the Navy League special and very important for our country. Thank you for your continued contributions and support.

      Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!

      My warmest wishes,

      Daniel B. Branch, Jr.

      National President