RE: [PMMC-NLUS] Re: Senator John McCain Pushes to Repeal the Jones Act

  • Sam Sause
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010

      I totally agree that this legislation is totally without merit and will certainly do more harm than good.  I am horrified at the infiltration of the US Domestic waterborne traffic that that could be lost to other countries.  This cannot be allowed to happen.

      As an appeasement I would suggest a serious consideration of a carefully worded exemption for cruise lines that could well  benefit certain areas of the country by having them (cruise ships) haul good paying customers / consumers to their cities.  This exemption would need to be written with due consideration any negative impacts on the US economy.  e.g. – As I understand it a cruise ship cannot now stop to load or discharge  passengers between two contiguous ports.  Why not allow a foreign cruise ship to sail from San Francisco stop at Seattle for passengers to get off and spend some of their vacation dollars in Seattle instead of taking all their $$$ to Canada.

      It is worth considering I think – but a blanket repeal cannot tolerated and I have to believe that this proposed bill will never pass.  I will read the bill (which I have not done yet) to see if I can spot any possible benefit to the US Economy and Maritime Industry and at least try to understand McCain’s reasoning.  Maybe he is just becoming a befuddled old man and not thinking clearly.

      Sam Sause, SR VP

      NLUS PMMC

      Tel: 510-865-0993