Fw: International Maritime Organization (IMO) Briefing : Manila conference sets 25 June annually as "Day of the Seafarer"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 256 KB

    Ahoy Members and Friends.

    We continue to track activities of the International Maritime Organization (IMO). Following the IMO, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council has declared 2010 the Year of the Seafarer. From previous pronouncements, for 2010, the day of September 20 was indicated as the International Maritime Day - we will stick with that. In 2011 and beyond we will highligh June 25 as Day of the Seafarer

    Our National Maritime Day is May 22 - we hope visibility for it will increase. For California and other states we would hope that a month, week, and day would be identified.

    It would be nice to work within a framework of national organizations to establish these dates to recognize the importance of our nation's and state's maritime industry to the health and wellbeing of the United States. Regionally it would be most welcomed if regional organizations such as the Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region, www.sfmx.org, would adopt such a practice. For sure there is an education mission to inform and educated the public and elected officials of the importance of the maritime industry. Then there, as described below, a need within the USA to inform high school and college graduates of the career paths of serving at sea aboard commercial vessels.

    The number of students attending mariner training programs in select foreign countries far exceeds that of United States students in our marine industry trade schools. This council needs to enhance its educational endeavors. The Navy League rightfully focuses on the sea services but for us we see the need to emphasize the Merchant Marine.

    Ahead, I see San Francisco Fleet Week, as such a opportunity. Possibly you see other venues. How about presentations to NJROTC classes? Or Sea Cadets beyond Arkansas Division?

    I would like to foster discussion on the tasks indicated above. Your comments and thoughts?