66th Anniversary Port Chicago Explosion commemoration and dedication 1000 - 1230 July 17
- The Navy League had a good showing last year. Members interested to attend ceremonies July 17 should follow the guidelines below. In 2009 the Pacific Merchant Marine Council presented a Navy League memorial wreath.Additional details may be found on last year's post, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/457.Phelps__________________________----- Original Message -----From: <Elizabeth_Tucker@...>To: <poch_general_info@...>Sent: Sunday, June 20, 2010Subject: Fw: Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial Dedication: July 17, 2010----Save the Date!Fostering a stronger America by discovering and celebrating our nations rich and diverse history one park at a time.
You are invited to a commemoration and dedication at Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial in Concord, California on Saturday, July 17, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to noon.
On that date, we will be remembering events around the 66th anniversary of the explosion at Port Chicago and dedicating the memorial as the newest unit of the National Park System, established on October 28, 2009. Park Ranger Shelton Johnson from Yosemite National Park, who was featured in the recent Ken Burns series, The National Parks, will be the keynote speaker.
During World War II, 320 military and civilian men gave their lives in service to our nation when the munitions ships they were loading exploded. On the anniversary of that event, we take the opportunity to honor all those who served their country, share memories, honor stories of struggle, and note lessons learned. As we commemorate the tremendous loss of life in the largest home front disaster of World War II, we will also be celebrating the richness and diversity of our nation's history as preserved by the National Park Service.
Due to limited seating, and U.S. Army regulations, reservations are required for this event. Please email (poch_general_info@...) or phone (510-232-5050), and provide the following information:
1. First and last name of each individual attending
2. Email of primary contact person
3. Mailing address for primary contact person
4. Phone number for primary contact person
When your reservation is confirmed, you will be sent information and directions to the event. All attendees will board shuttle buses between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. to reach the Memorial site, which is within the U.S. Armys Military Ocean Terminal Concord. The program will begin at 10:00 a.m. and conclude about noon. Buses will return participants to the parking area around 12:30 p.m.
MORE INFORMATION about Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial:
www.nps.gov/poch and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCR-NLUS/message/303
For bus tour information, please visit the website or phone: 925-228-8860.