Council to party aboard the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN July 4th!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20 10:47 AM

    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    As you know we will not be having our second quarter luncheon meeting Monday, June 21. Originally scheduled aboard the O'BRIEN, it was canceled due to a number of circumstances and reasons. You are welcome to visit the O'BRIEN any day but don't look for the Pacific Merchant Marine Council to be aboard Monday. Instead we have a change of pace -
    A PARTY, A CELEBRATION, AND A FRONT ROW SEAT FOR AN INCREDIBLE FIREWORKS DISPLAY!

    We will be there Sunday, the evening of July 4th. Plan to attend; you can arrive any time but a bit before 7:30 will assure you a seat. Look for us above hatch #2.

    Here is what the O'BRIEN's event calendar says:
    4th of July Fireworks Celebration
    July 4, 2010 - 7:30pm to 10:00pm

    San Francisco has some of the best fireworks around. Enjoy an amazing fireworks display aboard the historic Liberty Ship SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN as we celebrate America's independence! Hot dogs and drinks included.
    $20 Adults, $10 Children (6-12), $15 Seniors (62+), $45 FAMILY (2 Adults, 2 Children)
    Make your reservation to attend on-line or make a check payable to: National Liberty Ship Memorial and mail it to 1275 Columbus Avenue, Suite 300
    San Francisco CA 94133. You can also call in your reservation using a credit card; telephone: (415) 544-0100.

    Please let me know if you made a reservation.

    Can't make it? There are fireworks elsewhere. For Bay Area Fourth of July Fireworks and Events 2010 visit http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/feature?section=news/local&id=6868364

    Heave Ho!

    Phelps

    (916) 955-3972 | PMMC at cwo dot com

    PS I asked Michael on the location of the fireworks; his reply:
    Hi Phelps.

    There are two firings sites for San Francisco's Fourth of July fireworks show: off PIER 39 (from a barge on the Bay, see attached) and from Municipal Pier at the end Van Ness Avenue (land-based). This is the same arrangement as for many years in the past. Pier 45 is situated in between the two firing sites, but is not used for fireworks itself. The timing of the show is approximately 9:30-9:50 PM.

    (See attached file: Exhibit Pier 39 Display Area.pdf)

    Regards,
    Michael Nerney
    Maritime Marketing Manager
    Port of San Francisco
    Pier 1, The Embarcadero
    San Francisco, CA 94111
    415-274-0416
    Michael.Nerney at sfport dot com
    www.sfport.com

    Independence Day

    Fourth of July

    Who: the Second Continental Congress
    Who: the Second Continental Congress
    What: the Declaration of Independence
    Where: Philadelphia
    When: July 4, 1776
    Why: to declare the Thirteen colonies "Free and Independent States... Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown" of
    King George III.

    The Declaration of Independence

    We hold these truths to be self-evident,
    that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

    With these memorable words, Thomas Jefferson, at the age of 33, laid the cornerstone of the United States of America. Though the Declaration of Independence, or, as it was known at the time, "The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen United States of America," holds no legal standing, it stands at the head of the US Code. The signed copy resides in the National Archives in Washington, DC.http://www.answers.com/topic/independence-day

    More: http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avg&type=yahoo_avg_hs2-tb-web_us&p=United%20States%20Independence%20Day